Bluetooth Keyboard has no Bluetooth Adapter?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does anyone else find it annoying that the new Apple Wireless Bluetooth keyboard doesn't come with a USB Bluetooth dongle?

I mean, sure, new powerbooks have bluetooth built in, but what about those of us with older machines, we're forced to buy the d-link bluetooth adapter?

Then again, I don't really have a need for an external keyboard, so what am I complaining about?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Or look at it from the other side...

Why force someone to pay for a dongle if thier computer doesn't need one (or if they already have one)... As is, only the folks who need the dongle have to pay for it.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I think the point is that there are plenty of other wireless keyboards out there (including many Bluetooth ones) that come with a dongle included for about the same price. But Apple is always more expensive, don't you know that PosterBoy?!
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Luca hit my feelings right on, there are quite a few other bluetooth keyboards and mice out there that come with the dongle.

And even if someone didn't need it, isn't that what ebay is for?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by PosterBoy

Luca hit my feelings right on, there are quite a few other bluetooth keyboards and mice out there that come with the dongle.

And even if someone didn't need it, isn't that what ebay is for?

Really? Could you please post some links to the other keyboards? I'm interested in getting a wireless one and was looking at apple's. The only other bluetooth keyboard that I can find is microsoft's and its more expensive than apple's.

Thanks!
  • Reply 5 of 13
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

Really? Could you please post some links to the other keyboards? I'm interested in getting a wireless one and was looking at apple's. The only other bluetooth keyboard that I can find is microsoft's and its more expensive than apple's.

Thanks!

Here's one:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?co...CONTENTID=7153

Not sure if it's compatible with Macs that have BT built-in though...I trying to find out myself, I mean, why bother with a USB adapter if you already have BT installed?

• Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by cj3209

Here's one:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?co...CONTENTID=7153

Not sure if it's compatible with Macs that have BT built-in though...I trying to find out myself, I mean, why bother with a USB adapter if you already have BT installed?

Thing is- its not available yet and its very expensive! And check out that bluetooth adapter- its huge!
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Thing is- its not available yet and its very expensive! And check out that bluetooth adapter- its huge!

That's because it also serves as a charging dock for the mouse, which makes the size quite reasonable really.

Socrates
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Socrates

That's because it also serves as a charging dock for the mouse, which makes the size quite reasonable really.

Socrates

What happens when I'm traveling with my mouse and the battery runs out?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

What happens when I'm traveling with my mouse and the battery runs out?

umm buy new batteries?

</sarcasm>

the battaries inside that mouse are rechargable AAs

if they run out of juice, just buy some regular AAs until you get access to an outlet to plug in the charger
  • Reply 10 of 13
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    I contacted LogiTech and their BlueTooth Keyboards/Mice ARE NOT compatible with MACS. Such a shame really, what happened to BT standards?

Has anyone gotten the Microsoft BT keyboard/mouse to work with the INTERNAL BT card in the newer PBs?

• Reply 11 of 13
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Did the Quicksilver's come equipped with bluetooth? Or just the mirrored PowerMacs?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Northgate

Did the Quicksilver's come equipped with bluetooth? Or just the mirrored PowerMacs?

My Quicksilver requires an external USB Bluetooth adapter.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Northgate

Neither. Mirrored powermacs don't either.

Amorya