What do you think?

mjemje
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey, well I'll give you some background 1st, Im 16 and working for $6.50 an hour. I'm on a PC (not by choice) I haven't owned a mac from the time 7.5 was popular (never did upgrade to 7.6) anywho... I have realized that in Late March/ Early April I will have about 1400 bucks to spend. I know I want a mac but which one? I drool for a G4PB, but know it isn't going to happen. The book is cheap, but I'm some what conserned about the g3 processer (anyone have anything to say about that.) Also I would like a little of a larger speed. Now let me stop bitching and say the iBook has been my dream computer (from Tangerine and Blueberry) and I think the portibilty is a great thing. One would think I would just buy and iBook. But something happened last monday. I mean WOW! The design is great a G4 (Really want to use X) a 24x burner (I would only be able to afford the low end) and the lcd. Its also a great buy. I'm totally torn.

iBook AWSOME computer but G3, smaller screen

iMac AWSOME computer, but not portable

Any chance for an update in the iBook around April?

Is the iMac's lack of portablily affect me that much (I know YOU can't answer but if you can try.. yes I know its weird)

iBook has a G3 will that hurt my OSX running (I will do MP3 Web surf Photoshop iPhoto and light DVing (once I can get my hands on a camera))

Anyone can help me out? I would love to return to the mac platform on the best PC for me.

Thanks for reading all the way down here!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Do you really need portability?

If it is not essential to you i would go for the imac. A 700mhz g4 will feel a lot faster than a 600mhz g3 when using X.

Also i'm sure that if you use our computer a lot you will appreciate the larger screen that the imac offers.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I agree. The iBook is the coolest thing going in laptops, BUT you can't deny the new iMac's total sweet-osity.

The G4, larger screen and REALLY fast CD-R drive, all for $1299, make this is winner!

If it's not absolutely critical you have a portable, the decision gets REALLY easy.

But the iBook is great, and if I WAS going to buy a laptop, I'd get it over a TiBook ANY day!

Any chance before April you might end up with more than $1400? That might open up some choices too. Although, for all I know, you may have factored all that in and $1400 is truly what you'll have come April.

In any case, good luck. Yes, it's completely within the realm of possibility that the iBook could be revved by April. I mean, the original clamshell iBook went about 9 months between each rev (July 99 intro, February 2000 graphite special edition, September 2000 Firewire/Key Lime, ending in May of 2001 with the new white iBook).

However, Apple seems to have the hammer down on frequently tweaking this particular iBook, don't they?

Intro in May, MHz/bus speed increase in October, 14" intro/lineup refresh and price drop last week.

That's very encouraging! You might hit the perfect timing, kind of like how I am with this new iMac: been saving and anticipating for a while now, and my growing "iMac fund" is coinciding very nicely with the release/shipping of the SuperDrive iMac...almost to the week!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    can't go wrong either way....latest iBook should run os x with no problems....but if i was still 16 and had the cash, i would think of getting the iMac with combo drive...can do homework and email and surf the web and such...but also watch dvds late at night in my room without the folks hanging around....movies on the iMac will work much better than the iBook....g
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Will you eventually use this computer in college? If so, I would get the iBook even if it means waiting for Apple to speed up the bus and the processor. I would have never survived school without a laptop. The portability comes in handy when your roommate starts getting on your nerves and/or the computer labs are full. Plus, if you plan on telecommuting or work-studying, then a laptop will be a huge convenience and ultimately save you alot of time. And 90% of a successful college education is effectively managing your time. Then again, I studied Computer Science, but you might become a Theater major or something... Anyways, whatever your future academic plans are, having the ability to handle your computing needs from a couch, instead of a desk, is always very nice.

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: Brian J. ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 5
    mjemje Posts: 91member
    1st off I want to thank everyone that has put their 2 cents in. You all make great points. Portable factor.. Umm I think using a computer on the couch or maybe at school but I'm not sure. Right now the portablity factor isn't the highest point.. About what pscates said [quote] Any chance before April you might end up with more than $1400? That might open up some choices too. <hr></blockquote>

How so? What do you mean? The combo drive? About that my PS2 is my DVD player. Ummm yeah. If the intro a new ibook with a price from 1000-1200 with a 600+ g3 and maybe a larger screen thats what I go with. but if not, the iMac I shall go. Yeah you guys have helped me alot! Thanks for your time and replys!

:Edit replying to brian:

Yeah I'll have a PC in college, and that brings up a GREAT point. Would a 600 g3 get me trough 4+ years of college though? But if i get an iMac I will also get a Laptop (wether that be apple or Wintel) for college.

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: MJE ]</p>