CL2 RAM and Dual G5

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does anyone know whether Kingston HyperX RAM works with Dual G5's and whether there is a difference in speed with programs like Poser and Maya when using CL2 RAM rather than CL3...

Thanks

Jon

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Kingston HyperX should work...

As for CAS latency, I've never really cared to notice the difference if there is one...
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Any brand of RAM should work.

As for latency:

http://www.sysopt.com/articles/latency/

I personally can't tell the difference between CS2 and CS3 either.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    cjoncjon Posts: 20member
    thanks eugene

the cl2 issue aside for a moment - when using poser in panther, the activity monitor says that it uses around 600megs of ram and, in addition, about 700 megs of virtual ram (playing with big files).

its at this point that the program becomes extremely sluggish.

i have 1.5 gigs of ram now. would increasing that amount speed the program up any or would poser continue to use the same amount of "real memory" it does now and result in no difference?

there is always a fair amount of inactive ram on the activity monitor (about 300 megs) and about 50 megs free when poser's running.

cheers

jon
  • Reply 4 of 15
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CJon

Does anyone know whether Kingston HyperX RAM works with Dual G5's and whether there is a difference in speed with programs like Poser and Maya when using CL2 RAM rather than CL3...

Thanks

Jon

Can I have normal RAM coesxist with HyperX RAM?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Can I have normal RAM coesxist with HyperX RAM?

HyperX is just the premium line from Kingston. If you buy one stick of HyperX, you might as well buy another stick of that or better...
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Is the HyperX Ram faster the the regular DDR3200 Ram?
  • Reply 7 of 15
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Kingston HyperX should work...

As for CAS latency, I've never really cared to notice the difference if there is one...

There is one, if your mobo allow you to choose the latency you want. It's in the case for many mobo for PC. It's not case (or it's very well hidden) for macs mobo. Therefore there is great chances that the G5 mobo works only in CL3 mode, thus using CL2 will not bring you any improvements.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by opuscroakus

Is the HyperX Ram faster the the regular DDR3200 Ram?

It would say on the label what the timings are, but no, there's nothing super-special about HyperX RAM other than the little heatspreader they put on it. There are at least four memory timing settings I can configure on my my PC, though most RAM manufacturers will only list three.

...And Powerdoc's comments may be misleading since pretty much every PC manufactured today will autodetect the memory timings from your RAM's serial-presence-detect (SPD) chip. As long as you buy all CL2 RAM, a G5 or current Mac will run the RAM at CL2. His comments do concern overriding the SPD settings though, which most PCs can do in their BIOSes. I can set latencies between 2-3, 2-3, 2-3, and 5-8 for the four different timing values. It's overclocking your RAM basically...with results that I honestly haven't cared enough to notice.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

It would say on the label what the timings are, but no, there's nothing super-special about HyperX RAM other than the little heatspreader they put on it. There are at least four memory timing settings I can configure on my my PC, though most RAM manufacturers will only list three.

...And Powerdoc's comments may be misleading since pretty much every PC manufactured today will autodetect the memory timings from your RAM's serial-presence-detect (SPD) chip. As long as you buy all CL2 RAM, a G5 or current Mac will run the RAM at CL2. His comments do concern overriding the SPD settings though, which most PCs can do in their BIOSes. I can set latencies between 2-3, 2-3, 2-3, and 5-8 for the four different timing values. It's overclocking your RAM basically...with results that I honestly haven't cared enough to notice.

Of course there is an autodetect, and therefore my comments can be misleading. But it's also possible, that the G5 mobo deliberately choose to stay at CL3 even if CL2 memory are detected. Apple has always been secret about this point. Perhaps someone here have read a document daling with this ?

The strange things is latencies matter a little in the PC world. I have read several memory benchmarks reports about RAM and latencies where an important point for them, but i never happen to be the case for today macs.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Apple's documents have always said the RAM will run at the speed of the slowest rated RAM you've installed.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Apple System Profiler from 10.3 gives a report of every DIMM with the speed setting (2022, 2033, 2533 or 3033 for example).
  • Reply 12 of 15
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    I don't know if this is still true, but I remember about a year ago that CL2 512MB sticks don't exist. They just can't make that big of a stick that fast.

Of course, things may have changed, but when I was buying memory last year I was warned that sticks advertised as CL2 512MB were actually CL3. So, naturally I got one labeled CL3 and saved myself some money.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

I don't know if this is still true, but I remember about a year ago that CL2 512MB sticks don't exist. They just can't make that big of a stick that fast.

Of course, things may have changed, but when I was buying memory last year I was warned that sticks advertised as CL2 512MB were actually CL3. So, naturally I got one labeled CL3 and saved myself some money.

They keep making faster RAM, so it's not a problem. A CL3 "DDR433" stick of RAM could probably run just fine at CL2 at DDR400 for example. RAM is binned like any other component. The latencies are just what's programmed into the SPD. If you go to a shop, the CL3 DDR433 would probably be the same price as the CL2 DDR400 because they're the same chip, just with different SPD settings.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

This applies to 1GB DIMMs. 512MB sticks are now produced with up to 2022 timing.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by smalM

This applies to 1GB DIMMs. 512MB sticks are now produced with up to 2022 timing.

Ah, I'm just behind on the times. Not surprising, either.

Thanks.