Panther for $129 is cheap! Red Hat wants $179!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/purchase/index.html

Red Hat announced that it stop providing free distributions. The cheapest version of Red Hat Enterprose Linux is the Workstation edition for $179!

In terms of sunctionality this in no way a match for Panther.

There's 2 ways to see this_

- Panther is actually cheap (or seeeling big number into a good market ;-) )

- Red Hat is nuts ... ehem overcharging for "free" software

I personally think Panther is a good deal for a new purchase. I just wish Apple would offer upgrade pricing or something like a subscription. As mentioned before a combind .mac and OS X subscription would be really cool!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I've actually seen Panther in a number of places for $109. It's really not that expensive, although with some of these worse-than-usual bugs people are finding I wouldn't feel good about having paid anything for it at this point.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    There should be a cheaper Panther(or OSX)-upgrade price...

Its cheap for a new OS, but not if you bought Panther less than a year ago...
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Cheapest Red Hat (i.e. free) = http://fedora.redhat.com/
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

Cheapest Red Hat (i.e. free) = http://fedora.redhat.com/

:ROFL: where's support? Automatic patching (read SoftwareUpdate)? Potentially Ximian RedCarpet could step in ...
  • Reply 5 of 16
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    actually our school has basically dropped RedHat for that.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    What's the latest price of Photoshop or Office or Dreamweaver or Cleaner?

i don't know, i tend to think 129 bucks for an OPERATING SYSTEM is a frickin bargain compared to what other software costs these days.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    hehehe... and b/c im a student i get panther for 50 bucks
  • Reply 8 of 16
    ~
  • Reply 9 of 16
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    They're turning free redhat into free fedora. both are free.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Yeah, the change with RedHat is going to hit quite a few small businesses pretty hard. But for the most part, many won't switch to another free opportunity. It's just counterproductive to learn a completely new server environment rather than just plunk down the money in licensing to maintain security and stable operation of a network.

Oh well, business is business.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    etharethar Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB

:ROFL: where's support? Automatic patching (read SoftwareUpdate)? Potentially Ximian RedCarpet could step in ...

It will use RedHat's up2date program.

And it's not like it's hard to find any support for any lunix distro anywhere...

If this works out well for RedHat, then I'm happy for them. They're a great company.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryaxnb

They're turning free redhat into free fedora. both are free.

... at the cost that you loose the free Red Hat Network account which allows you to manage the patches for the box. It was possible to have a free account up on RHN, you just had to take a survey every 60 days!

There will be nothing comparable to that for fedora!
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB

... at the cot that you loose the free Red Hat Network account which allows you to manage the patches for the box. It was possible to have a free account up on RHN, you just had to take a survey every 60 days!

There will be nothing comparable to that for fedora!

Honestly, why do you even care? It's FREE! You're seriously going to sit there and bitch about something that RedHat is giving away? Do you have any idea how much work they've put into it?
  • Reply 14 of 16
    And you're still wrong about managing update packages. Fedora will still use up2date.

http://fedora.redhat.com/download/updates.html

Quote:

Fedora Updates

If any security updates, bugfix updates, and new feature updates are available, they can be downloaded from:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu.../core/updates/

In this directory, there is a directory for each release number. For example, for Fedora Core Release 1, there is a 1/ directory.

These updates can also be downloaded using the Red Hat Update Agent (up2date).

So quit whining. Goddamn.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    There's so many distros to choose from, I doubt I'll ever use redhat's. I prefer gentoo, but there is debian, Suse, mandrake... etc etc.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Does Panther include support? I've never tried to get support from Apple so I don't know.