Scheduling Tasks in Panther ?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I think I remember something about Panther being able to schedule tasks [when applications run, etc.] ... but I'm unable to find this?

Is it still there, but it's so easy to find, that I'm overlooking it?

or did it disappear?

or am I pulling fictional material out of my a**?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Perhaps this is what you were thinking?

System Preferences -> Energy Saver -> Schedule

I don't recall there being any other GUI for event scheduling. cron scripts are always there, but you'll either have to learn how it works from the command line or snag a free/shareware app to do it for you.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    QuickKeys CE might be what you're looking for. AppleScript is always nice. I can definitely see iCal developing in this direction, with some built in scripts from Apple, for system maintenance, internet stuff, perhaps in conjunction with .Mac, etc.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    iCal will launch any application any time you want.

Create a new event in the calendar.

As the action for the alarm choose "Open File".

The default file is iCal. Click on it and choose "Other". This lets you navigate to any application you want.

I use this as an alarm clock. I write a short Applescript to control iTunes and have iCal launch it when I want to get up.

Note that you can have multiple alarms for one event. This means you can launch many applications with one event.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Cronnix can schedule a lot of tasks
  • Reply 5 of 5
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mcsjgs

Cronnix can schedule a lot of tasks

I second that. CronniX is a great little program that all OS X users should use to automate repair permission and the daily/weekly/monthly cron scripts. And as mcsjgs said, it can be used to automate almost any task.