To buy now or Not to buy now

in General Discussion edited January 2014
Should I buy the G5 now (1.8 or 1.6 ghz) or wait til revision 2 of the G5 is out?? Im not sure what I should do....



  • Reply 1 of 4
    the 1.6 is least appealing... only 4GB of RAM, slower PCI slots

    the 1.8 is excellent value for money without the limitations of the 1.6

    waiting for a dual is worthwhile if you're willing to hang until the next rev... (MWSF maybe)

    and if your budget will support what may still be a premium for duals

    and the pennies go plink plink
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Wow, a vague question if I've ever seen one.

    If you need the power now, buy now.

    If you can get by with what you have for several more months, wait.

    It's all about your budget and needs.

    Purchasing advice belongs in General Discussion. Moving Now.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I'm in the same boat. I'm buying a dual though, so I'm stuck with the now top of the line or hoping that the middle machine is a dual next time around. OR, buying up one of the last current top of the line dual machines at a discount when the next generation is released.

    I'll have the cash in a couple of weeks, that's when things will get rough. Personally, I WANT to wait. It makes the most sense. I want a dual, but I'd settle for a dual 1.6 over a single 2.0 (or higher.)
  • Reply 4 of 4
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    If you can wait until the dual creep down to the midrange or even low end model. I upgraded my G4/400 that was suffering in X with a Gigadesign 1.2 GHz G4 and now I have time to wait for the G5 to get even more speed and torque8)
Sign In or Register to comment.