Yes. or No? A Job Offer...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
"Our small Landscape Architecture Firm is searching for a graphic artist to

join our team for a design competition. Responsibilities will include mangaging the creation of hand graphics suitable for layout, image manipulation in Adobe Photoshop 7.0, board/sheet layout in Adobe Indesign, and coordination with other team members to create an interesting composition that not only sells the team's design but also stands on its own.

Responsibilities:

The team member would work in our office (most likely on our PCs) to create,

layout, and manipulate the board and edit the graphics. The final product

is (2) 24"x36" sheets printed on high-gloss paper then mounted on Gator/Foam

board. The main body of work will be completed on November 22th with a few

hours needed on November 21th for coordination issues.

Additional info:

Our office uses PCs only and would hope to avoid any cross platform

conflicts.
We are running Adobe Photoshop 7.0 and Adobe Indesign 2.01. In addition, two of the team members are very knowledgable in Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Indesign and will work in conjunction with the graphic designer to meet the deadline.

Applicant criteria:

The position is available to freelance designers and design students who can

display thorough knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Indesign with a

great sense of composition."

OOPS...<edit>sorry, forgot this...

"Compensation: $30 as consultant with 15 Hrs avail total

This is a contract job."
</edit>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    ugh.

not sure.

can you work at home on your mac and pretend it was done on a PC by making it just a little uglier when you're done?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    No.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    No.

There's enough ignorance in this world, why contribute to it? I would get physical with a PC centric moron before the day was over. Why place myself into such a scenario.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artman @_@

OOPS...<edit>sorry, forgot this...

"Compensation: $30 as consultant with 15 Hrs avail total

This is a contract job."
    </edit>

wait, the total job is $450? whoop-de-f*ckin'-doo. someone wanna pay me $200 just to gett he job and screw over their pc's on my way out?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    the real problem is that if they were really concerned with getting the best work possible out of you, they wouldn't make these stupid conditions.

you wouldn't hire and artist, then when they show up with their brushes take them all away, and hand them your crappy ones instead.

sounds like they're more concerned with agenda than work. not a good job, IMO.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    ...love it...When I saw PC.......no.

I would spend 200 bucks just to get to their boon-dock corporate campus (live in city...car? what is car?...) by train. I HATE the term "cross platform conflict". Coming from them...its a problem...for Mac users its why we use MACS.

God, when is the job market/world...ever going to be (ab)normal again
  • Reply 7 of 13
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    The real problem is graphics -- these Landscapers don't have a way of presenting their competition vision and expect your fancy computer footwork (whatever the platform) to pick up the slack. They claim you'll "manage" the composition, but you'll end up trying to understand what they want to communicate, not get it, and be under a lot of pressure at the deadline.

Sounds sucky.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    So they are only going to give you 15 hours? That's only two full days? WTF are they thinking?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

can you work at home on your mac and pretend it was done on a PC by making it just a little uglier when you're done?

LMAO
  • Reply 10 of 13
    They probably won't find anyone, so depending on your income requirements, you can probably negotiate terms.

Anyway, if you're not working now, it's a quick 2 day job and it's better than being a bum.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

They probably won't find anyone, so depending on your income requirements, you can probably negotiate terms.

Anyway, if you're not working now, it's a quick 2 day job and it's better than being a bum.

I am working now. Barnes & Noble, full-time. That requires working insane shifts so this job's out of the question. Including the fact its 10-15 miles out of the city. If it was in the city I'd try it, honestly. But only if I was allowed to work at home.

But these PC Nazi's don't want it any other way. If they said that I couldn't use my Mac then the negotiation's over.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    And that's too bad because these days Macs seem to be "playing nice" with PCs more than ever.

The job would tempt me, on the surface (Photoshop and InDesign are wonderful), but ultimately I'd be hand-tied because I simply don't know Windows. Nor do I have any burning desire to do so, to be honest.

A shame. Sounds like a neat little job.

Heck, Adobe themselves have made their apps nicely "cross platform" (feature parity on Windows and Macs) as of late (unlike years ago with Illustrator at 7 and the Windows version at 4 or whatever, and features not matching up).

That one's tough, Artman. I'd be SO tempted...but only if I could convince them that there would be no "cross platform troubles".

Someone's comment upthread about "taking the brushes away" rings very true. They're really limiting themselves to the people they can get, since the Mac is still such a strong graphics/creative platform. They've basically took about 65% or so potential candidates out of the running, I bet.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Yes... if you need the money...

yeeeeeee