New York Times Reports That 100,000 New iMacs Ordered In First Week

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The figure is mentioned in an article in today's paper. You can read the entire article (free registration required) here:

<a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/17/technology/17APPL.html"; target="_blank">http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/17/technology/17APPL.html</a>;

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    That number looks a litle LITTLE LITTLE bit too high to me... But if it's true. That rocks.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Well it is good, but also bad since it seems unlikely that Apple can deal with the demand this month. I hope my machine is near the top!
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Either that figure was based on info supplied to the writer or he went back to see what the actual orders were for the first Biondi Blue iMac. Apple has stated that orders are equal to that introduction. 100,000 is both good and bad. Quanta only has the ability to manufacture about 100,000 units per month I believe.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Some Apple PR pages from previous product introductions:

<a href="http://www.apple.com/pr/library/1998/aug/10orders.html"; target="_blank">Original Bondi Blue iMac Aug 1998</a>

150,000 preorders in 1 week

<a href="http://apple.com/pr/library/1999/aug/31ibookorders.html"; target="_blank">Original iBooks Aug 1999</a>

140,000 preorders in 1 month

Wow, I forgot how big the original iMac introduction was. So it sounds like the 100K figure for the Luxo iMac is in the right ballpark.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by MacsRGood4U:

<strong>Either that figure was based on info supplied to the writer or he went back to see what the actual orders were for the first Biondi Blue iMac. Apple has stated that orders are equal to that introduction. 100,000 is both good and bad. Quanta only has the ability to manufacture about 100,000 units per month I believe.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, Apple said that preorders for Luxo are the largest since the original Bondi iMac. In Apple-talk, that translates to "less than".

On another note, I wonder what the breakdown is wrt lo-med-hi end models.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    This is problematic if Quanta can only make 100 thou a month. There are porbably 120,000 orders or so at the time of my posting, and they are ALL THE TOP LEVEL, MOST EXPENSIVE IMAC!!! Assuming few people cancel, that's $216000000 in revenue just from the first weeks and a half of iMacs! Dear Lord! I think Apple needs to ask another company to hlp prodcue. Now.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    It was reported that Quanta was contracted to make about 100,000 a month. Perhaps they can increase their output eventually. Apple can also go elsewhere for additonal manufacturing if needed.

One other thing, the original iMac was $1299 so the new iMac at $500 more is getting great response in a much more sluggish marketplace.

Lost in all this is how well the new iBooks are doing.

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: MacsRGood4U ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 15
    don't know if iBook was lost in all this...i think it is pretty much understood that the iBook kept Apple going while the iMac lagged...now the iMac will keep Apple going while the PM lags...then the PM will be updated and all should be good for a while, till it is found that the iBook is lagging and needs updated...etc etc g
  • Reply 9 of 15
    ".... and the beat goes on, yad da da da da."
  • Reply 10 of 15
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    ...and those 100K people will show their iMacs to another 100K people... and it will just grow and grow.

In the mean time the Window producers will continue to be befuddled by it all.

Aries 1B
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Aries 1B,

What is that awful high pitched sound I'm hearing? :eek:

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: MacsRGood4U ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 15
    100,000 preorders in a week works out to 1 imac being ordered every 6 seconds. yeaaah, baby.....
  • Reply 13 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by Aries 1B:

<strong>...and those 100K people will show their iMacs to another 100K people... and it will just grow and grow.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hey, if those first 100,000 people could each show their iMac to 100,000 other people, then Apple could sell ten billion iMacs right away. That would be good for market share!
  • Reply 14 of 15
    I think it is going to reach 500 000 this quarter, and there are going to be converts...

I have a PC friend whom I have known 2 years. He has seen my Snow iMac and OS X and the software and told me its a nice environment etc. but he is still using a PC. After seing iMac2 he wants to migrate to the Mac...

- Snowster
  • Reply 15 of 15
    ybotybot Posts: 329member
    I was listening to Apple's quarterly earnings conference call and in it the CFO stated that Apple has opted to fly in the newly made iMacs on airplanes rather than send them across the ocean on a boat. Sure sounds like Apple should have waited a month before announcing the new iMac, then there'd be enough to fill initial demand...or would there be? Anyway, it's an interesting factoid I thought I'd pass on to all of you.