ADVICE? TiBook 17" 1 ghz OR Al 15" PB 1.25, if price were equal

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
For about the same price I can get a refurb'd 17" TiBook or a loaded 15" AlBook. But which one?

Do the upgrades from the Ti to the Al make a big speed difference? I'm going to be using it a lot for work, running FCP and Avid Xpress Pro.

Are the refurbs safe? Are the 17's as clunky-big as they seem? Any other issues?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    You know, I was thinking the same thing. I just recently (read a month ago) had my Pismo 500 destroyed... very sad story. Anyway, insurance is paying to replace the machine and I am heading down to the Apple Store in Orlando this weekend to pick up a 1.25 GHz 15" AlBook. I figure that I'll
    • Be getting a brand new machine (granted the refurb may be perfectly fine...)

• Get the upgraded processor with more L2 cache

• Get the upgraded video card, and don't we all need that?

• 2x SuperDrive over 1x, 16x CD-R over 8x

• 20 GB more hard disk

• USB 2.0 - not necessary with FireWire, but still nice...

Seems like a good amount of upgraded-goodness over the older 17" PowerBook to me. Oh, I almost forgot, the 15" PowerBook comes with White Spots! You don't get those on the 17", and man would you be sad without that feature!

Anyway, just my thoughts. I'll let you know how I like my 15" after I get back on Saturday (I've played with Dad's 17" before...).
  • Reply 2 of 9
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I'm assuming you mean a Rev. A 17" PowerBook, right? I always thought the "TiBook" was the Titanium 15" models recently replaced by the new 15" PowerBooks.

• Reply 3 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I'm assuming you mean a Rev. A 17" PowerBook, right? I always thought the "TiBook" was the Titanium 15" models recently replaced by the new 15" PowerBooks.

Your right. No such thing as Ti 12" or 17".

And I'd go with the 15", not only is a loaded 15" going to be faster and make you smile, but it isn't gigantor. The only advantage in my mind would be the screen size as 1.25 --> 1.33 isn't a big deal. Do you want a big screen or not, I decided I didn't because it added too much to size and weight.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    You're right, I actually did mean the rev a. AlPB 17" vs. the AlPB 15". The differing release schedules of the Al's and the Ti's got me all confused.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I think that really is a no-brainer (if I may be so bold). 17 inches (or 2 inches, depending how you look at it) of screen is well worth 250 MHz, and then some. The 17 inch was meant to be a desktop replacement, so you can bet that it's no slouch.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I don't think there is a clear winner. The advantage of the 17" model is that it is big. The disadvantage of the 17" model is also that it is big.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    donnydonny Posts: 231member
    I agree that a clear winner, between those two models, is not clear at all. Honestly, it comes down to how you plan to use the machine. Unless you plan on a lot of high level graphical operations, including gaming, then the "power" between the models is not apparent to the average user, and it is not dramatically different to the most observant user. I'd focus on other things... For example: Is portability a key need or will you need the screen space on a daily, weekly, or monthly schedule?

Also, I think the 17" is more of a proven machine at this point. The new 15" has many instances and types of problems being reported since release. Of course, a new machine will have a year, with more if you buy it, of product care behind it, and if the hassle of being on the phone and sending the machine back to the mother ship is no big deal for you, the 15" is a perfectly good option. Does the 17" have any of its original care package remaining?

Just a few thoughts for you to consider as you make your decision. I wish I had such a choice to make myself. Please be sure you enjoy either machine for me, since I have no such luxury at this time.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    It's a tough call, but that refurb price of $2100 for a 1GHz 17" is very very tempting.

To the issue of size, I'd go to a retail store and ask them to allow you to lug the 17" model around to get a better feel of size. Is it really that big? Does it look funny when you pull one out in a coffee shop?

(reminds me of the movie Blazin' Saddles when Cleavon Little says "excuse me while I whip something out")
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I made the lovely decision to go with the 17"... I found someone in my office with one, and I almost messed myself while playing with it for an hour. The 15" felt cramped in Photoshop and Xpress Pro. I'll live with the slower render times as long as I fit all my windows on screen at once.

Mucho danke.