Circle with line through it

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've just tried to boot a machine, and it comes up with the grey start-up screen but instead of the Apple symbol it's got a cirlce with a line through it...

Any ideas what that means?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    hmmm... new one by me. is it a fairly new machine? running os x?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

hmmm... new one by me. is it a fairly new machine? running os x?

No it's a PowerBook G3. It had Panther on it until I tried to re-install OS 9, but the OS installer said the configuration was unsupported. Then one of my colleagues turned the power off.

On restart the machine displayed the 'no entry' screen.

God, I hope it's not burst.

• Reply 3 of 7
    The sircle-slash is OSX's version of the old "torn" broken System Folder icon.

What does it mean? It means that either the system files or the filesystem itself has been damaged and it can't find a valid, bootable system folder.

*Sometimes* this can happen as a mere glitch in the NVRAM and can be fixed by holding apple-option-p-r when you boot, wait for the system to start and chime a third time, and then releasing the keys.

If that doesn't work, you may have other problems necessitating a reinstall or something else. \
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

What does it mean? It means that either the system files or the filesystem itself has been damaged and it can't find a valid, bootable system folder.

*Sometimes* this can happen as a mere glitch in the NVRAM and can be fixed by holding apple-option-p-r when you boot, wait for the system to start and chime a third time, and then releasing the keys.

If that doesn't work, you may have other problems necessitating a reinstall or something else. \

Oh Brad, thank you!

What a relief. I can fix that. I was scared that it was a modern version of the Sad Mac icon, and that the hardware was screwed.

I'm going back into work now to try out your suggestions...

Thanks again, everyone!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Yep. That was what it was. I formatted the drive and installed a fresh copy of OS 9, and then Panther and it's running like a dream again.

Thanks again, Brad!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    *bows*

You're quite welcome. I'm glad that everything worked out well.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Well its either that or your looking at a Plimsol line or your on the London Tube system...