Panther IP Printing and Computer Name Problems

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
two problems:

1) How can I change my computer name in Panther? Ever since I got the thing, it's been named COMPUTER_NAME_NO_APOSTROPHE_S which is exceedingly lame, but I was never given a choice in the matter. Now, with Panther, the 'computer' folder is only viewable as a sidebar icon in Finder, as far as I know, and that can't be renamed.

2) After upgrading my original 12" PowerBook to Panther, my printer list was deleted. I have added the network printer at work to the list, but every time I try to print, it stops the job. I know I have the correct IP address for the printer, and I know I have the latest drivers for an HP Laserjet 4000N. With Jaguar, it would often take a long time to print or just get stuck uploading the data, but it never actually stopped the jobs before.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Start System Preferences and click on sharing.

You can change your computer name here.

Dobby.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Thanks a bunch! I feel stupid and/or lazy now. The printing problem is more vexing, though.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Do you have the ability to access the printer in your web browser? (Just type the IP address and that should work).

If so, review the configurations, and check on the HP website regarding firmware downloads for the printer.

I had a similar issue with an HP 9000, and a firmware update made everything work okay - but I can't speak about the 4000N so I can only offer this experience for what to look for.