Anyone delaying purchase of iMac?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Forgive me if this has been asked but in all this talk of new iMacs arriving I was just wondering if anyone was delaying their purchase until rev.2 comes along and when that may be.

If you are delaying your purchase, is there any particular reason?

Delosic

PS - In case you haven't figured it out, I am debating whether to jump and buy or wait for rev.2

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: Delosic ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Delosic:

<strong>Forgive me if this has been asked but in all this talk of new iMacs arriving I was just wondering if anyone was delaying their purchase until rev.2 comes along and when that may be.

Delosic

PS - In case you haven't figured it out, I am debating whether to jump and buy or wait for rev.2

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: Delosic ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm delaying my purchase because I don't need a desktop right now. My 2 year ols iMac, although old, works. So I'm happy. I'll probably buy next septemeber when they get @ least 133MHz bus. Too bad they use the laptop memory.... :/ Also the possiblity of a widescreen 17" LCD is another cool thing that would spur me to purchase it.

-Paul
  • Reply 2 of 13
    If the next 2-3 weeks bears a lowend Powermac above and beyond the iMac, then I will be in PM City.

Otherwise, it's iMactown for me.

The money gets here on 1/28.

WWJD - What Will Jobs Deliver?

SdC
  • Reply 3 of 13
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    DELAY? Hell man, I'm trying to speed it up!

• Reply 4 of 13
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    To be honest, like ANY Mac product, WAIT until the rev. b model comes out. I can't think of asingle new Apple product that didnt have trouble in the beginning and then got repaired 4-6-9 months later.

The iLamp is great, but I am sure that if you wait a bit longer, maybe by MWNY or MacExpo Paris, (August/Sept respectively) you will see some nice updates. If the updates are major enough then then you will probably see updates in just a few months, April-May.

It will all depend on how much user feedback Apple gets with this first batch of iMacs... if there are some things that reammy get customers ticked off, they will make maybe even subtle changes in a few short months... otherwise if everything is fine, which I doubt, you will have to wait longer for an update.

just my 2 euro cents.

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: ZO ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 13
    I already purchased one, mainly because this machine is essentially a vertical powerbook. iDon't think there is anything in this machine Apple didn't develop beforehand, and all the parts and architecture were already in place. I think a lot of the lessons from laptops and the first iMac were put into this machine, making it a first-generation revision b.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    :-):-) Posts: 110member
    [quote]Originally posted by Anarchangel:

<strong>I already purchased one, mainly because this machine is essentially a vertical powerbook. iDon't think there is anything in this machine Apple didn't develop beforehand, and all the parts and architecture were already in place. I think a lot of the lessons from laptops and the first iMac were put into this machine, making it a first-generation revision b.</strong><hr></blockquote>

At least the round MoBo is new, so I guess they haven't tried that before
  • Reply 6 of 13

<strong>If you are delaying your purchase, is there any particular reason?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, I'm holding off for now, tho it's not easy.

Gotta see about the G5....

Must be stupid, or somethin'
  • Reply 8 of 13
    I am holding out as my Umax C500 w G3 400 upgrade is just too damn functional to give up on quite yet! This hugely noisy pizzabox that cost me 1100 Canadian dollars 4 years ago just refuses to die and with ram hdd and processor upgrades (ob m third 180 603 to 240 w cache doubler to G3) I am plotting its demise for the fall and may stage something dramatic to convince spouse of my new computer needs.

The damn thing just keeps working
  • Reply 9 of 13
    idudeidude Posts: 352member
    I was going to hold off till the summer, but with the rising ram prices and a report on Cnet about LCD shortages, especially in 15", I may be buying sooner than expected, just so I don't end up paying more.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    &gt;I am holding out as my Umax C500 w G3 400 upgrade is just too damn functional to give up on quite yet! This hugely noisy pizzabox that cost me 1100 Canadian dollars 4 years ago just refuses to die and with ram hdd and processor upgrades (ob m third 180 603 to 240 w cache doubler to G3) I am plotting its demise for the fall and may stage something dramatic to convince spouse of my new computer needs.

The damn thing just keeps working&lt;

I got the same 'problem' with my PowerMac 8100. Its a tad slow but its a tank. I mainly just go on the internet and I've been trying to justify buying a new Mac. A tower for $999 would have made me buy one. I'll probably buy a used G4. Apple does its part to ensure a strong used Mac market, even though you would think Jobs would want me to buy a new one. Too bad Jobs doesn't have Gates' business sense.....................................
  • Reply 11 of 13

<strong>Forgive me if this has been asked but in all this talk of new iMacs arriving I was just wondering if anyone was delaying their purchase until rev.2 comes along and when that may be.

Delosic

</strong><hr></blockquote>

currently running (walking?!?) a 266 G3 beige...holding out for a G5 (hopefully @ MWT, if not before!)
  • Reply 12 of 13
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I ordered the $1299 model last week. Heck, by the time I get mine, it will probably be revised already.

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: iDave ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 13
    neomacneomac Posts: 145member
    [quote]Originally posted by iDave:

[QB]

I ordered the $1299 model last week. Heck, by the time I get mine, it will probably be revised already.<hr></blockquote>

I very much want to order the $1299 model, but the two months delay is just incredible. I can't bring myself to order a product that will take that long to arrive. It would drive me nuts.