Clean 10.3 + Dev Tools + Updates file listing

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Okay, just for mitts and giggles, I did a 'find / -name \\* > file' immediately after installing 10.3, dev tools, and all available updates on a freshly formatted disk.

11.3MB of text. Woah.

I trimmed it down to 112kB by coalescing everything under foo.app, for instance, to just the .app line. Ditto for frameworks, etc.

Why would I go through this insanity? Because now I have a durned spiffy exclude list for incremental backups. I can add files to /Library willynilly, installers can add to /usr/local, etc, etc, etc and anything not in this list will get backed up by, say, rsync. Neat, huh?

Here's a link to it for anyone that wants it... There were some cases where I exposed lower level files just because they looked interesting and I wanted to note them (check out some of the stuff in System for instance). If this file is used for exclusion, these exposed items won't make a difference... but there were some specific items that I wanted to make for *inclusion*, those are prefixed with a +. (For instance, all of /System could be exlucded by just saying '/System', but I exposed a lot of items of interest.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5

• Reply 2 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Dude, I'm a *professional* geek.

• Reply 3 of 5
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    I don't really understand. What does this bring me, Kickaha?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

I don't really understand. What does this bring me, Kickaha?

It gives you a list of what you don't have to back-up.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member

Thanks. Now I understand.