Apple goes for AMD - just a rumor

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Folks, actually you'll reading above its just a mail i recieved a couple of days ago - from a friend, who is an employee of a big chip comp. He is not that type you'd call an applefreak, but he is somewhat concerned about technology, he is also writing for arstechnica.com, anyhow, ...

Thats what he put on me:

>Nearly eight years ago, when the first mobo >went out, I had not realized yet how this labor >of love would grow. Today, many thousand >hours later, Macos still hold the same magic

>for me. And it does the same for many of us, >as revealed in our messages board, filled >with stories that are heartwarming and funny, >touching and tickling, and best of all, full of >affection.

>Sounds like we have a good thing going >here. There is only one hitch. We'd

>like it to be able to run on its own feet. The >idea is to make this great system

>self-sustaining on our boards. Its stable right >now. BUT: It is only possible with apple itself. >But i think they'll stick with its loosers. >Anyhow, it would be a nice bang to moto and >its fellows ...

i'll stop here, grab what you want

have a nice day

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    [quote]Originally posted by Florence:

<strong>Folks, actually you'll reading above its just a mail i recieved a couple of days ago - from a friend, who is an employee of a big chip comp. He is not that type you'd call an applefreak, but he is somewhat concerned about technology, he is also writing for arstechnica.com, anyhow, ...

Thats what he put on me:

&gt;Nearly eight years ago, when the first mobo &gt;went out, I had not realized yet how this labor &gt;of love would grow. Today, many thousand &gt;hours later, Macos still hold the same magic

&gt;for me. And it does the same for many of us, &gt;as revealed in our messages board, filled &gt;with stories that are heartwarming and funny, &gt;touching and tickling, and best of all, full of &gt;affection.

&gt;Sounds like we have a good thing going &gt;here. There is only one hitch. We'd

&gt;like it to be able to run on its own feet. The &gt;idea is to make this great system

&gt;self-sustaining on our boards. Its stable right &gt;now. BUT: It is only possible with apple itself. &gt;But i think they'll stick with its loosers. &gt;Anyhow, it would be a nice bang to moto and &gt;its fellows ...

i'll stop here, grab what you want

have a nice day</strong><hr></blockquote>

Maybe it's because I just woke up or maybe it's because I'm still fighting off this damn flu but I didn't understand a word of that quote...

Dave
  • Reply 2 of 4
    DaveGee: I think it might be because he quoted the part of the message that says nothing.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    This means nothing. More importantly, Apple has the G5 on tap and they're not having a lot of the problems there were with the G4...so they're not looking to bail out quite yet. I see Apple adopting a few plans here before making a switch to AMD-based processors, if they do anything:

1. Apple buys out MOT's PowerPC or Semiconductor assets. Development goes in-house and IBM manufactures.

2. Apple/IBM license AltiVec and IBM develops/produces the PowerPC.

3. Similar to the above, but Apple also partners w/AMD to produce or work with IBM on the chips they are designing. Still follows the PowerPC architecture. (IBM takes MOT's role, and AMD takes IBM's former role).

...there are problems with Motorola, yes, but there's no reason in the world for Apple to pass up their relationship with IBM and undergo a complete processor platform switch right now. This quote looks like bull to me - not that it meant anything in the first place.

-S
  • Reply 4 of 4
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    what is means is that the AMD employee likes to root for the underdog, and that the people at AMD have figured out ways to get Apple's next series of chips fabbed better than motorolla.

not sure if it's true, but if you wanted to read between the lines, that's probably what it would say.