Helping the economy---what i have ordered since iMac pre-order...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
ok, so i'm doing my part to help the economy....

1/7/02 ordered iMac--$1,799 plus tax (why taxes??does apple have a company in New Mexico??)

since ordering iMac i have been buying stuff in anticipation of new iMac and OS X (currently run 9.1 on my iMac DV)

1/17/02--ordered 512 of ram from crucial--$215

1/18/02--started ordering games--4 from Aspyr and 1 from MacPlay...will probably add a couple more when the computer actually comes in, plus will get a shareware or two (airburst looks great)--never really thought of the old iMac as a gaming machine, but the new one should be very nice for games.

1/18/02--Word for X

dang....probably new iMac owners are single-handedly keeping the economy afloat...anybody else ordering stuff before the machine even get here??? i already am working on a check list:

1. unpack iMac

2. load extra ram

3. power up iMac and transfer files via firewire to firewire from old machine

4. Load games

5. update Toast Titanium and other software to 10.1

6. download extra iMovie transitions and extras from apple site.

7. touch and love machine for many hours before letting anyone else in the family near the machine.

8. slowly face the fact that the kids won't let me on the new machine anymore and move the old iMac to my room to use...once and a while stealing a glance at the new iMac as the kids use it...

:eek: g

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I would give the kids the old imac and keep the new one for you. It's you "work machine" and must not be touched because of the important information on it. Come on their kids they'll listen and be happy to have their own machine. If anyhthing upgrade it a little for them.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I would give the kids the old imac and keep the new one for you...

that is the plan, but i am a realist...at first they will need the new iMac to make iMovies (old iMac HD is about full) and burn dvd's of their movies (can't do that on the old machine)...then it will be, well the games run so much better on the new iMac, then it will be "Dad, maybe you can use the iMac when we're asleep"...then, "Dad, we worry about you harming the iMac by using it when we are asleep...so you better not use it anymore."

of course, then i will have to get my own machine...and by then the new PM will be out and maybe the price will be lower on that beautiful 22" lcd...

a man can dream right?

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: thegelding ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 7
    ok i can see that.....I am not a father yet but my wife has one in the oven, i guess i should take you responce as "fatherly advice". Mine will still be young enough that i wont have to share my Ti book with him/her for at least 3 years, by then I'll give it to him/her and get a new smoking one.

I also see that your in a catch 22 as well.

Cheers and good luck with it all. :
  • Reply 4 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by thegelding:

[QB]then it will be "Dad, maybe you can use the iMac when we're asleep"...then, "Dad, we worry about you harming the iMac by using it when we are asleep...so you better not use it anymore."

QB]<hr></blockquote>

I am LMAO over that one! you hit the nail on the head!

Ariel
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Did you just order Word or Office? Because with the rebate right now for office, I would think the price must be about the same.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Please tell me you got Office. Word is so overpriced compared to the rest of Office.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    sorry...yes i got office...really rarely use excel or powerpoint at home (use both at work, but not at home), but word is $129 at apple for education, and office is $199...so for $70 bucks i have all three (and entourage...probably the main reason to have office at home instead of just word)...g

what is horrible is that we don't use OS X at work yet...and may not for 6-12 months....so i can't get office X at the University CIRT office where it is a 50 buck update vs 200 at apple vs 450 for non-education customers...g