P2P For Mac?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I know, I know, its illegal. But are there any file sharing apps for Mac OS X? A Mac version of Kazaa? My whole iTunes library is legal - but there are just some songs that you can't find...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Try mlMac. That's M-L-M-A-C (I got confused by the sporadic capitalization of the name when I first heard about it).
  • Reply 2 of 15
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Poisoned. it rules.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Baby! Poisoned integrates amazingly with iTunes. (Or so ive heard... ) Can't get mlmac to work though. It says it is "Downloading the new version of mlnet". But thats it. Nothing else happens. Any ideas?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

Baby! Poisoned integrates amazingly with iTunes. (Or so ive heard... ) Can't get mlmac to work though. It says it is "Downloading the new version of mlnet". But thats it. Nothing else happens. Any ideas?

Nope. I can't use p2p really, because I'm on a college network that blocks it. I downloaded mlMac on the advice of a friend so yes I have tried it and I've done searches that turn up Kazaa content, but I can't actually download anything.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

I know, I know, its illegal.

They are NOT illegal! They can be abused, and used illegally though.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    K, thanks.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

They are NOT illegal! They can be abused, and used illegally though.

How are they not illegal???

Illegal reproduction. Illegal distibution... Not that I disagree with file-sharing...
  • Reply 8 of 15
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

How are they not illegal???

Illegal reproduction. Illegal distibution... Not that I disagree with file-sharing...

p2p sharing networks, although they evolve into illegal areas, aren't solely for illegal purposes. If all you and everyone else shared was stuff you had legal right to redistribute, then it'll all be good. Like GNU/Linux isos, or your own band's music, or GD Live bootlegs, or free software programs. The p2p programs themselves aren't wrong or illegal, but the stuff being tossed around is (and the people throwing it around).
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

p2p sharing networks, although they evolve into illegal areas, aren't solely for illegal purposes. If all you and everyone else shared was stuff you had legal right to redistribute, then it'll all be good. Like GNU/Linux isos, or your own band's music, or GD Live bootlegs, or free software programs. The p2p programs themselves aren't wrong or illegal, but the stuff being tossed around is (and the people throwing it around).

Ahhh. I geddit.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

I know, I know, its illegal. But are there any file sharing apps for Mac OS X? A Mac version of Kazaa? My whole iTunes library is legal - but there are just some songs that you can't find...

a) not illegal per se (just if you distribute content in violation of your user right -- which would make CD illegal too ... and paper copiers ... and just about anything )

b) www.limewire.com get PRO, dead cheap no ads or anything spy-ish
  • Reply 11 of 15
    it was on these boards that I first heard of acquisition, which, in my opinion, is head and shoulders above limewire. I've never used mlmac, but i will try it out next time i am home. I too am on a college network that blocks all file sharing, so no acquisition or anything for me.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Goddamit. While Poisoned worked perfectly at my bro's, it looks, alas, like my university network blocks (or at least majorly cripples) file sharing networks too. Kazaa being relegated to minimum connection speeds was mentioned in the bumpf they gave us, but I hoped it might not apply to a Mac application. It does... Bum.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Nope. I can't use p2p really, because I'm on a college network that blocks it. I downloaded mlMac on the advice of a friend so yes I have tried it and I've done searches that turn up Kazaa content, but I can't actually download anything.

you should be able to. they don't officially block p2p traffic.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB

b) www.limewire.com get PRO, dead cheap no ads or anything spy-ish

limewire sucks in all its forms. paying for a less shitty version is like saying, "thank you, limewire team, for giving me a version that doesn't suck, it just blows. and thanks for giving 90% of your users a terrible product." there are plenty of non-proprietary and uninhibited alternatives.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Sweet. P2P isn't disabled on my university network!!!

I tried to search for files with Poisoned again just now. At first nothing happened. Cos i'm used to instantaneous results on my bro's cable, I thought it wasn't working. But I waited a few minutes longer and, bam! It worked.

Sheesh! One problem for slowness could have been I was allowing access to 6GB+ of my files aswell as 3 user simultaneous downloading. Oops. Dom... You havn't go cable anymore... you haven't got cable...