Using iSight and/or iChat to video chat with Windows

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
My sister, a diehard Windows fan, recently surprised me by getting an iBook and an iSight to go with it. Now my niece, her daughter, is asking about how she can video chat, be it two way or one way, with her Windows-using friends.

I know that iChat uses AIM standards, but are there any Windows AIM chat clients yet that are interoperable with iChat?

If not that, does anyone have any recommendations for Mac softare other than iChat, which will recognize an iSight and use it for video chat with Windows users?

Is NetMeeting the most common video chat software on Windows? Anything for Mac that can talk to NetMeeting users using an iSight?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    versiontracker for OS X "webcam" turns up IOXperts webcam drivers which supports PC Yahoo Messenger

i know a few users who successfully got video chat with PC Yahoo Msgr clients using this tool

(using pre-iSight mac usb cameras)

still referencing the h.263 video codec (same as iChatAV) is CuSeeMe, IIRC

there are a few other "global webcam support" sites, dunno if any explicitly support iSight yet.

edit: spleling
  • Reply 2 of 4
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    There is no "AIM standard" for video; iChat AV uses an undocumented combination of AIM and SIP for video that nothing else supports.

Nobody can seem to develop what people really want: H.323 video conferencing for OS X.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

There is no "AIM standard" for video; iChat AV uses an undocumented combination of AIM and SIP for video that nothing else supports.

Nobody can seem to develop what people really want: H.323 video conferencing for OS X.

H.323 is yesterday's news
  • Reply 4 of 4
    ohphoneX works with Netmeeting and is free open source software. do a search on versiontracker.

I'd recomend using ohphoneX just for the video/audio. for text etc. there are better programs out there.