Ram for new iMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The Apple store offers several options for RAM on their website. We all know that the internal 168 pin is a 256 megabyte chip a 133mHz. One of the options for RAM on the website is for a 512 megabyte chip(one DIMM). My question is this. If you select this 512 megabyte RAM chip(one DIMM), is this 512 chip that I assume is going into the internal slot at 133mHz? I am a novice computer user and would appreciate input. Say you have 512 at 133mHz vs adding a 256 at 100mHz to the other slot, is the single 512 at 133mHz faster? If my thinking is correct, wouldn't it be worth it to pay the 200 bucks for the 512 at 133mHz to get better use of the 800 mHz G4? Rambling, rambling, rambling. Be nice to me, I'm new.

Terry

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    getting 512 internal is nice purely because you never have to worry about opening up your machine and up-dating or adding ram...you will already be at the maximum for internal ram....as for speed, i think they are using 133 because it is more common and actually cheaper than 100 now....as i understand it, and i may be wrong, the system bus is 100, so having ram at 133 won't make it any faster than having ram at 100....it won't harm it to have faster ram, but it won't help it either....i personally just went with the 256 internal from apple and ordered a 512 ram so-dimm to add on...so, how it breaks down:

at apple you can go to 512 internal for 200 bucks

or

keep 256 internal and add 512 so-dimm yourself for $215....

i opted for 768 ram total, hoping to have enough ram so i don't want to add any more till the computer is way out dated....g

probably can't go wrong either way...512 should keep you going for a long while before you want to add more ram.....
  • Reply 2 of 6
    ps. the ram i'm adding is PC133 so-dimm..

<a href="http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr+Productline=Apple+iMAC&amp;model =iMAC+%28G4-800%29&x=19&y=19" target="_blank">http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr+Productline=Apple+iMAC&amp;model =iMAC+%28G4-800%29&x=19&y=19</a>
  • Reply 3 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Ok, now I am confused. I was under the impression that the iMac used the same RAM that laptops use... but now after going to the site, I can see that it uses 1 144 pin slot and 1 168 pin slot. So basically I can use my old iMac's 512 mod in a new iMac?!? SWEET!!!
  • Reply 4 of 6
    yes, but in the internal slot....so don't forget your thermal paste and pads...at least the paste needs to be replaced each time you open the inside of your iMac...adding airport or adding so-dimms does not require opening the insides and replacing the thermal paste, but changing the internal 256 to 512 would... (if you don't replace the paste, the iMac may overheat and void your warrenty....) g

do they sell thermal paste at walmarts??
  • Reply 5 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by thegelding:

<strong>yes, but in the internal slot....so don't forget your thermal paste and pads...at least the paste needs to be replaced each time you open the inside of your iMac...adding airport or adding so-dimms does not require opening the insides and replacing the thermal paste, but changing the internal 256 to 512 would... (if you don't replace the paste, the iMac may overheat and void your warrenty....) g

do they sell thermal paste at walmarts?? </strong><hr></blockquote>

Thermal paste??

what is that? like a PASTE? on the new iMacs?? This doesnt make sense... what if I want to upgrade the hard drive? will i have to put it in a plastic bag or something?!?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    there are heat conduction points in the new iMac...everytime the insides are opened (to add internal ram, to change HD, to change the battery, etc) the old paste must be scraped off and new paste evenly applied...very simple to do if you have the paste and know where to put it...why it may be easier to have an authorized apple site to add ram internally or change the battery or HD etc...will look for photos of what i'm taking about and post here...a bit of a pain i guess, but how often are you really gonna open up your new iMac??? they made it all-in-one and not very upgradiable so that most of us don't go mucking around inside it...g

ps the three connection points are small metal on metal pieces...the three thermal pads?? not really sure what they do...must protect some area from getting too hot...g