Consumer Reports on apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well i got a new Consumer Reports yesterday (well parents did), i went and looked at the computer section. Apple got excellent ratings on all, except was listed on high price of course. They didnt have the new iBooks in it, but just apple in general had nice ratings. All others had some bads on them.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Thats because in comparison to PeeCees, Macs are somewhat pricey. However, just as with all things, you get what you pay for. You go get yourself one of those free or $100 PeeCees by signing your life and your first born child away to MSN and you get a cheap piece of crap with software and hardware problems coming out your ears. Not worth it. I'm willing to pay a little more for a computer that is far superior to a PeeCee because I won't run into typical computer problems. I'm Apple's #1 fan because they have proved to me that they make the best computers in the world, both software and hardware, so I will pay extra, no question about it. CR recognizes a great computer when they see one, Macs rocked the tests. Makes me wonder why more people don't use them.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

\\Makes me wonder why more people don't use them.

I have 2 reasons to that, or opinions...

1) Price

2) People are so wrapped up in the windows world already. Are blinded by windows "Blue Screen Death".
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by killer2239

I have 2 reasons to that, or opinions...

1) Price

Wrong.

Quote:

2) People are so wrapped up in the windows world already. Are blinded by windows "Blue Screen Death".

Right.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Adding to first statement...

I mean everyone is so caught up in windows. All you see everywhere you go is windows. Only big retail store that sells macs is CompUSA. And you see like 20 windows commercials (or anything that uses windows) to 1 mac commerical. Everyone thinks that there is no software for mac. I found no problem at all with software. It was big fear when switching. Just its always been micrsofts world since 95. Slowly, and very slowly are people noticing mac. Or have noticed, but didnt like. Just havent given OS X a chance, or just now noticing its qaulitys. Thats my thoughts on it.

Price does have factor, lots of people dont wanna spend 1-5 thousand dollars a a new mac. When they can get a so called "decent/good" windows machine for 700-1000 after all those rebates.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    CR, when it rates computers, always has a special "Apple" section, like its retarded or something. They're more interesting when they do surveys measuring consumer satisfaction with various computer brands.

Two things:

1) their readers often chew them out for trying to compare (pardon the pun) apples to oranges -- in one letter the CR staff said they found OS X much easier to work with than Windows.

2) their last desktop test, a 1.8Ghz G5, was listed as costing $3650! Must have got that Apple RAM installed.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by killer2239

Price does have factor, lots of people dont wanna spend 1-5 thousand dollars a a new mac. When they can get a so called "decent/good" windows machine for 700-1000 after all those rebates.

People can get a so called "decent/good" Apple machine for 800-1100 (without any rebates).

Look, I just did an experiment at Dell, customizing their CHEAPEST machine to package it up as close to an eMac as I could get. It was something like $40 MORE. And then it is a poorly slapped together piece of junk. Apple is more competitive on price than it may look at first glance.

Admittedly, many people don't get past the "first glance", and companies like Dell are masters at offering you a PC "from $499", only to make you find out that $400 later, you're not any cheaper than Apple afterall. (Last I knew that used to be called "bait and switch"...but I'm probably old-fashioned.)
  • Reply 7 of 8
    One thing Dell DOES offer...more FLEXIBILITY. But at what price? In the end, you end up configuring things out to the same machine Apple is already selling you because, well, you know, you want to actually DO something with your computer.

So you spend 30-45 minutes doing this. Why?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    i think the CR folks have "expensive" on autofill when reviewing Apple products.