an idea for iPod and iTunes!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
This is how I would like to see iPod and iTunes evolve:

iTunes:

The source column should get two tabs, one called sound, the other vision

When selecting the sound tab, iTunes works just like it does now. When selecting the vision tab however, it allows you to view all files Quicktime is capable of viewing, plus all iMovie projects too. Preferably all this should be based on MPEG 4.

All in all, this new version of iTunes basically becomes a Media Manager? that handles all your audio and video needs in a truly elegant Apple way. All this of course with the option of syncing it to iPod.

iPod:

First of all, it needs to get a bigger hard drive, say 30 gb or something. Secondly, it needs a slightly bigger colour display, this in order to preview your movies and iMovie projects.

The firewire jack should double as video out so you can connect it to a tv or a beamer, making iPod ideal for showing your holiday snapshots and movies to family and friends. This would make it ideal for businesses as well, because in order to do a presentation, all you need to do is bring an iPod.

In my humble opinion, all this is quite feasible, and it would broaden the appeal of iPod enormously! What do you think?

Comments

• Reply 2 of 7
    1. iTunes - it's called iTunes for a reason. I don't want a bloated app with a big window for all my multimedia files. I like iTunes and Quicktime separate. Mac OS X organizes files efficiently enough in the home directory that we don't really need this...(one folder for Movies, one folder for Music). I could, however, see Quicktime Player becoming more iTunes like as hard drive space increases and people make more iMovies, download more video. I just don't need them in the same space - for me they serve two different purposes.

2. Again, if iPod had this it would cost $700, be too large to fit in your pocket (you can't get drives that small in even 10gigs yet), have lousy battery life, and wouldn't sell. Nobody would want one to take it and listen to MP3's on anymore - which is the whole point of iPod - that's its target. What you are talking about is, again, a separate product.

What's more, by the time such a product could be developed, there will be no need. By the end of the year, if not within the next week and a half, the iMac will support the SuperDrive, and you'll be able to burn all your video stuff to DVD anyway. For those who don't have a portable computer, this is a much cheaper way to do what you suggest (as it comes with the computer). DVD has been so widely adopted, you can just burn your iMovies, Presentations, Photos, whatever to it with animated menus, etc. - and unlike with an iPod you can actually GIVE these things to someone to keep...you don't have to take it with you when you leave.

That said, I could easily see Apple developing more digital devices, such as a digital video camera, that is aware of their iApps - making it easier to shuffle data back and forth between iMovie/iDVD/camera and even provide some simple on-camera editing that would sync up with iMovie when you plug it in.

Try to think of iPod as what it is, and instead imagine other products that Apple might come up with.

-S
  • Reply 3 of 7
    That would more likely be a feature in the Newton 2, coming out next month.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Why do people want "a bigger drive" in the iPod?

It's a "personal device" not a music archive.

Sheeeesh, it takes all of ten minutes to completely swap out the tunes and holds 70+ CD's at 160+VBR.

It's perfect, very small with enough tunes for at least a couple of days. I swap tunes every week or so while I get redy for work.

A huge drive is a good idea for USB players, because it takes all night to upload gigs at a time.

iTunes is fine as it stands too. I do wish Apple would put the rest of SoundJam's features back in tho. I like getting rousted from sleep by music from my Mac and the analog input option would be nice to have if I ever set up my turntable to digitize my vinyl.

Zack
  • Reply 5 of 7
    [quote] When selecting the vision tab however, it allows you to view all files Quicktime is capable of viewing, plus all iMovie projects too. Preferably all this should be based on MPEG 4.

All in all, this new version of iTunes basically becomes a Media Manager? <hr></blockquote>

Uuuuhh hello??!?! Can you say Windows Media Player? It's crap and so would this be if it came around. We already have Quicktime, and we have iTunes... keep it that way.

Mac Guru
  • Reply 6 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    What about iView Multimedia?

It organizes all kinds of multimedia, it is already there, and it works. Why should Apple even bother?

What I want from Apple is a sort by genre function on the iPod...

-Paul
  • Reply 7 of 7
    That is a bad idea. Leave iTunes and Quicktime Player apart for now.