Colour Laser on PC Network printing garbage from Mac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Here's my problem! Mac suite in University all networked to a couple of colour lasers on a PC based network. Colour lasers are linked to print release stations for payment by smart card. The one laser is a Konica and the Macs see it on the network as a Fiery RIP, I have the correct fiery printer description file and I can print no problem. The Second is a HP 4600 linked to a release station I can link to the release station and print but only by sending EPS data as ASCII and not the default BINARY. If I dont send as ASCII I get pages of Code/Text spewing out of the printer. Any ideas why the HP won't just print without any alteration to the files I send. I have the 4600 printer description installed. It's not easy tring to tell 300 students day after day that their EPS files placed in Quark from PhotoShop need to be saved in ASCII and the quark file itself needs to be sent as ASCII. And the Library staff are fed up of seeing pages flying out of their printers by the hundred!!! Any ideas folks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Are your using the correct PPD for the HP4600.

Has the printer got Postscript disabled?

I had to downoad some printer utility and grap the PPD from there.

How do you send binary or ascii to a printer? I though that when you print it will be postscript so if the printer can't handle postscript it will print garbage. The HP4600 handles postscript 3 so it should be fine.

Dobby
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Dobby - Thanks for the reply!

I had to download the PPD from Adobe - The printer is under the control of our IT dept so I could'nt get hold of the install CD.

I will check whether Postscript is actually enabled - You have given me an idea - If the printer is setup for PCL Language will it print with ASCII normally and print garbage with Binary?

To send Binary or ASCII to a printer in Quark you go Print>Options Tab>Pictures>Data: ASCII or Binary

In other Apps go to Print then click on the general tab and select the application name in the list. The data option is usually in there. Choices are Binary (default), ASCII and sometimes JPEG as well!

I will investigate further