Odd Mac Only Web site and Email errors (possibly DNS?)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Where I work, we recently moved our domain to a new server. The registrar was alerted, and DNS changes were made. None of the PCs here have problems accessing their email or the web page. However, both of the Macs are. The OS 9.2.2 mac, using Outlook Express cannot access the email at all. Whenever the "Send/Receive" button is pressed, the following message appears:

Quote:

The specified server could not be found.

Could not retrieve mail from the account "Account Name".

Occasionally, while sending email, that machine gets this error:

Quote:

Mail could not be sent to account "Account Name".

sorry, you have not authenticated for relay and <[email protected]> is not a local address. (#5.7.1)

On the OS X (10.2.8), there is occasional problems. I cannot access the domain(www.a.com), but I can access mail.a.com. Mail can retrieve mail. But this is where it gets odd. I can't access anything in the morning. Neither the websites or email. And then, between 11 and 1, it fixes itself, and everything is okay - until the next morning.

It seems like a DNS problem to me, but that wouldn't explain the PCs having no problem, and the OS X computer only having morning problems.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

EDIT: I had the incorrect error message for when the mail was being retrieved. It's fixed now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    When I have switched around my dns info before, I have had problems as well getting it to work right on other machines. Usually my mac picks up the changes, but my pc takes a good 8-12 hours more to "figure it out". (Even though I restart it etc).... So I would suggest waiting a bit and seeing if that fixes your problem. (But I am guessing you are already planning on doing this lol)
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremiah Rich

So I would suggest waiting a bit and seeing if that fixes your problem. (But I am guessing you are already planning on doing this lol)

Well, I was planning on waiting (what other choice do I have? )

But the domain was transferred (and the DNS updated) on October 24. It shouldn't be taking this long...

Please note that the error message that comes when mail is retrieved was incorrect. I have edited it in the original post.