Microsoft BlueTooth Keyboard/Mouse

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Well, I'm happy to report that this combo actually works with a 15" Al PB. The internal BT module recognized the mouse and paired successfully.

FINALLY. I can now use the same wireless keyboard/mouse combo with both my PC and my MAC.

I'm a happy camper...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Just out of curiousity, but which key on the Windows keyboard maps to the Mac's Command Key? Is it the Windows key?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    yeah it is, which is a pain because the windows key only exists on the left side of the keyboard. annoying when you're used to it being on both sides.

along with that, there are times (boot up) when a bluetooth keyboard won't give you input. so single user mode, boot of a cd, hold down the mouse button to eject media etc. don't function.

you also lose sound functions (keyboard) brightness is funky, and i had a bit of trouble getting the eject to work. got that one eventually though.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

yeah it is, which is a pain because the windows key only exists on the left side of the keyboard. annoying when you're used to it being on both sides.

Back in the day the Apple key was only on one side of the keyboard. I believe this was changed sometime in the mid 90s. The first computer I owned that had the Apple key on both sides was my 6400 which I bought in 97. Before that I had an LC, Apple key was only on one side. Kind of hard to imagine that now. It would seem so weird to not have it on both, but thats the way things were a few short years ago.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Back in the day the Apple key was only on one side of the keyboard. I believe this was changed sometime in the mid 90s. The first computer I owned that had the Apple key on both sides was my 6400 which I bought in 97. Before that I had an LC, Apple key was only on one side. Kind of hard to imagine that now. It would seem so weird to not have it on both, but thats the way things were a few short years ago.

It's a Command key. Brief history:

Sometime: Apple introduces the Apple keys, closed and open. No cloverleaf/

Sometime later: They spread to the Apple IIe, AFAIK with the IIe. Still no clover

1984: Apple Mac released. No Apple key, instead the command (clover) key. The Apple logo is absent from the key.

Sometime later: Apple IIgs released with ADB

1987: Mac SE and Mac II released with ADB. Keyboard features key with both command image (for Mac) and Apple logo (for Apple II compatibility.) On the Mac, there was never supposed to be an apple on the key. It follows that you should call it a command key on the Mac, especially because:

1989: Mac Portable released. Keyboard is integrated, however still features apple logo on command key.

1991: PowerBooks released, same thing.

1998: USB keyboard released from Apple. Still features apple logo on cmd key even though keyboard doesn't work on an Apple IIgs, at least I don't think it does.

1999: iBook released, features only one command key.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Thanks for the extra detail ryaxnb. You know your stuff. I sorta knew all that, but not quite. I have an Apple, and several Macs that don't have the apple on the command key. I also have an Apple II that has the Open and Closed Apple keys. I've seen em all, just never knew that much in depth about them.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    So you could say the logo on a key is just one more thing Microtrash stole.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    What happens if you have both machines on at the same time!?

;-)
  • Reply 8 of 11
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Indecisive PC user

What happens if you have both machines on at the same time!?

;-)

It only works with one keyboard/mouse set at a time; it doesn't work with both at the same time.

• Reply 9 of 11
    Strange question.

I just bougt a cheap Logitech mouse with an infared connector (no wire, uses an adapter in the usb port). I like the mouse, except for one thing, the click is loud (relatively).

My 2 year old Logitech mouse with a usb connector but with a wire to the transmitter, has a much softer sound.

Does the Microsoft bluetooth mouse have a soft click?

Thanks,

dr. L
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by hledgard

Strange question.

I just bougt a cheap Logitech mouse with an infared connector (no wire, uses an adapter in the usb port). I like the mouse, except for one thing, the click is loud (relatively).

My 2 year old Logitech mouse with a usb connector but with a wire to the transmitter, has a much softer sound.

Does the Microsoft bluetooth mouse have a soft click?

Thanks,

dr. L

It's all relative. The MS BT mouse is pretty silent to me; it's kinda like a muted click.

Hope this helps...

• Reply 11 of 11
    Great !

THANK YOU !

Sincerely,

Dr. L