Help! Best Firewire CDRW??

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am planning on getting a Firewire CDRW with at least a 24X burn. I can't decide between th follwing brands:

1) Boa EZQuest

2) Lacie

3) QPS Que

Is one of them better (faster, more reliable etc) than the other? Please help.

Thanks,

Dhanu...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    I personally like the forumac 24X burner... But I dont have it (yet).. so i dono
  • Reply 2 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by Dhanu:

<strong>I am planning on getting a Firewire CDRW with at least a 24X burn. I can't decide between th follwing brands:

1) Boa EZQuest

2) Lacie

3) QPS Que

Is one of them better (faster, more reliable etc) than the other? Please help.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You want a plextor mechanism: it's pretty much the hot setup. These mechanisms are used QPS as case-filling.

How to tell: look at the front of the box, hands on either side; on the side under your left hand, is an outline box containing the words "Part #", and below that, "Serial #". Close by, there should be a pre-printed strip w/ a serial number on it. If the strip says "W2410TA", then your box contains the new Plextor 241040 mechanism.

Works great w/ 9 & X!.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    marcusmarcus Posts: 227member
    I bought a Firewire 12 speed Ezyquest Boa CD-RW drive last year...it was awesome.

However, after about 2 months it developed a (bridge?) fault and had to be replaced. I sent it back to the company, and they had a new one back to me pretty much by return.

It looks as thought the original drive was a rougue one as, in the following 8 months and 'very' heavy usage, I had no problems and would recomend one wholeheartedly....

I have just sold it in view of an impending new Powermac, but would not hesitate to buy another...

Marcus

P.S. I haven't used the others on your list, so unfortunately can't give a comparison...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    If you are ordering from the internet, how can you tell whether you are getting a plextor mechanism?

Dhanu..
  • Reply 5 of 7
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Can an internal IDE drive be put in an external firewire case? With little or no driver trouble? Or do you have to do some weird fiddling with drivers for both the drive and the enclosure? Anybody tried this? There are some pretty good yamaha units that'd be great in a firewire enclosure. Does anybody even make such an enclosure?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Last month i got the QPS Que! 24x burner and it's been great so far.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    :-):-) Posts: 110member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>Can an internal IDE drive be put in an external firewire case? With little or no driver trouble? Or do you have to do some weird fiddling with drivers for both the drive and the enclosure? Anybody tried this? There are some pretty good yamaha units that'd be great in a firewire enclosure. Does anybody even make such an enclosure?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yamaha is making an external firewire drive (CRW-3200IX-VK), and it has an 8MB buffer. I haven't tried, but their (yamaha in general) rep is pretty good.