Simple mp3 naming question from a simple kind of man

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am starting to feel like a neophyte. For the life of me I can't manage to edit the internal file information for my mp3's/m4a's and whatever AAC format that iTunes converts songs into. I ripped a large part of my CD collection and that turned out nicely with iTunes having a nice accurate record of album, artist, and song title. I have about 800 directly ripped songs on iTunes and that is good. What is bad is the 1,800 or so mp3's I transfered from my PC. The file information for them is off, in many cases iTunes has no information for any of the fields. It just sorts them below all the other files by their filename. In windows it was pretty easy to edit the data contained within the file. How can I do this with OSX. As daunting as a task as it looks to be, I would like to get my music library on iTunes and maybe purchase an iPod. Definetly not until I am able to get some organization with the music library.

edit: One other thing I neglected to ask that is bothering me. Files that I know to be working high quality mp3's on my PC in certain cases are jumbled messes on iTunes. Normally it is a few seconds of music followed by an extremely loud modulating electronic screech. Any clues?

Comments