How hot does your machine get?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My 1ghz 15" AlBook gets hot. Temerature Monitor reports it getting to over 60 degrees celcius (then the fan turns on).

I am most curious about the kind of temperatures that the g5s run at. Is it really that much higher than 60C?! I know that if the g5s were stuck in the same small space that the powerbook's g4s are in, they would get too hot, but i'm still curious about the desktops.

Post the temperature of your CPU in this thread.

Temperature Monitor

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I don't think my AlBook 1.25Ghz has been recorded higher then ~146. My fan seem to kick on earlier then it used to...it used to turn on at ~145, but now it go at ~140 I think.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    I don't really care how hot the powerbook on my lap right now is, it's cold here, I like the warmth!

for the record, it's fairly cool right now, with a nice warmth on my left leg.

I'm using a tiBook now, 1 ghz.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    There is another thread that goes into T in gory detail.

Mine hits 335 K consistiently when I'm running jobs on it (that's 65 C). Right now, it's running a job, but it is at 317K; that is because it is sitting on a huge, cold lab top, which is keeping it quite chilled.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    Mine gets quite warm as well... where do you look to see how hot it is?
  • Reply 5 of 32
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

Mine gets quite warm as well... where do you look to see how hot it is?

download the temperature monitor

see the link in my original post

anyone with something other than a powerbook care to comment on temperature?
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Al 15" 1.25GHz PB

Usually less than 50°C. If it is playing a long QT movie it might get up to 57°C. That is the highest temperature I've seen. Then the fan comes on and the temperature drops. That has happened only one time.

I agree with the others. Now that the weather has turned cool it is quite nice to have a warm powerbook on my lap. That will certainly change next summer when temperatures go over 80F.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    My G4 Cube runs right around 108 degrees F (~42 degrees C). Right now it is at 111 degrees F, thats with some surfing, terminal activity, iTunes...nothing big. The highest I have seen on mine is 118 degrees. I recently replaced the stock 20gb 5400rpm HD with an 80gb 7200 rpm HD. I didn't have a temp monitor before the drive switch, so I don't know how much extra heat it generates. Sounds to me like the PBs get hotter than the cube, I never woulda guessed.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    My iMac (333) runs around 12C but the diode is not reading the right temp.

My PC (XP 1600+ 1.4Ghz) runs around 46C load (100% 5min) and 40C idel (0~5% 20min).

My Media PC (Celeron 1.8Ghz) runs around 48C load (100% 5min) and 38C idel (0~5% 20min).

The PC I just built for my friend (P4 2.8c (800mhz FSB)) runs at 56C load and 45 ldel.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    mine is running at about 119.8 F
  • Reply 10 of 32
    I'm running at 128F, 53C. This is with several applications going, but about 70% idle CPU. Rev. A 12" powerbook.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

mine is running at about 119.8 F

What is your current computer configuration?
  • Reply 12 of 32
    109 F, 43 C, on battery power.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    That temperature monitor is nifty! I'm reading 118 F as I browse on safari web, have about five different pages going with tabs. I am curious though where exactly the temperature is coming from. It says when I open the display sensor information it's reading from Analog Devices ADT7460. Anyone tell me where that exactly is? Thanks.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    i should have taken the temperature of my 1Ghz Alu-PB15 before i sent it back, but it was much, much cooler than the 1.25Ghz i got now. the top of the machine (keyboard and palmrest area) never got warm, unlike this one which could be used as a plate warmer.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    My AlBook 12" 1Ghz is now 49?C.

I'm just web browsing, using Fire and iTunes, and downloading from Direct Connect. So nothing strenuous.

Amorya
  • Reply 16 of 32
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Hey everyone. My 15in 1.25Ghz AlBook gets HOT. If I let it sits on something that doesn't let air flow beneath it, like my lap for example, then it can get hot as all hell to the point of annoyance and I can't leave it sitting on my lap.

Is anyone experiencing this as well?
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Yes the bottom of the 15" AL 1.25 gets very warm - temperature monitor shows the machine usually running somewhere between 50c and 60c highest it ever did was around 64c but thats not a problem for use since the palm rests rarely get too warm for comfort and when using battery (thats when your likely to have it on your lap) the machine is very reasonably warm...

I'd much rather have this situation with a warm laptop then have a cool but noisy machine like so many PCs or my old Ti 1Ghz PB... the AL gets really warm on the bottom and around the screen but not where it could be a problem - on the palm rests.

- this is the eternal compromise with laptops - Noise or Heat - I'd rather have the heat instead of the noise and this is indeed the quietest laptop I have used so far... I hate noisy laptops!!!!
  • Reply 18 of 32
    My 867mhz TiBook does not get hot at all. It gets warm on extended, 24-hour compile jobs, but the two stage fan keeps it moderately warm.

The thermometer in the CPU is 'broken' on this rev of the PPC 7455, so I'll never be able to tell you how warm is 'warm', but it definately doesn't get hot.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    58°C

No wait...

58.1°C

• Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmo

I am most curious about the kind of temperatures that the g5s run at. Is it really that much higher than 60C?!

My dual G5 runs as hot as 53 degrees Celcius.