Midi starting...Logic Audio Big Box?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I was wondering if Logic Audio Big Box (contains Logic Audio 6, EVP73 Emagic Vintage Piano, ES1 Emagic Synthesizer, EXSP24 Sample, and PlayerXtreme Analog sample CD) all for ~$230 would be a good deal for starting out in midi. I have been composing using notation software using midi (so I have a midi keyboard) but have never tried software synths, samplers, ect. I was wondering if logic audio is a good starter.

Some other questions I have...

Where do you go to get tips and reviews on the midi related topics? It seems like there are knowledge people out there just from searching AI for midi but I can't find any mac/music related boards.

I need a new midi interface as my old own is a serial port and I now have a 12" powerbook. Any recommendations?

Also, what features am I missing from the larger logic packages? and can do you get any discounts if you upgrade from a lower logic product to a higher one.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:

Originally posted by Madweesha

I was wondering if Logic Audio Big Box (contains Logic Audio 6, EVP73 Emagic Vintage Piano, ES1 Emagic Synthesizer, EXSP24 Sample, and PlayerXtreme Analog sample CD) all for ~$230 would be a good deal for starting out in midi. I have been composing using notation software using midi (so I have a midi keyboard) but have never tried software synths, samplers, ect. I was wondering if logic audio is a good starter.

Some other questions I have...

Where do you go to get tips and reviews on the midi related topics? It seems like there are knowledge people out there just from searching AI for midi but I can't find any mac/music related boards.

I need a new midi interface as my old own is a serial port and I now have a 12" powerbook. Any recommendations?

Also, what features am I missing from the larger logic packages? and can do you get any discounts if you upgrade from a lower logic product to a higher one.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I've got that set up (12" powerbook/logic big box)

and it's a nifty deal considering that it includes a sampler,

synthesizer, virtual instrument(EVP73 is just a model of a rhodes 73keypiano, sounds good - think Radiohead - who use logic to record btw) and records audio...

it's a bit complicated to start with, but should be enough...

as for midi interface, you can look at midiman or edirol and many others

but you might wanna splurge on a usb midi controller keyboard(they are usually small and are usb powered) these knobs can be set to the software knobs...good to have...plus you can plug your keyboard into its midi thru...

http://edirol.com/products/keyboard.html

http://m-audio.com/products/midiman/keystations.php

you can get good discounts upgrading or academic discounts, but it's still like $400-500 for logic platinum...

http://audiomidi.com/

actually, audiomidi.com has good articles on the software you might read and check out...

also, download some demos to try out some of the new software out there...nowadays, there is alot of audio manipulation outside of midi sequencing

Reason 2.5 is a huge synthesizer and sampler w/ a midi sequencer

Live 3 uses audio clips to play/compose songs without a conventional linear midi sequencer - and non destructive real time editing...

definitely check out some demos before you buy!