Mail + Outlook. Can you understand this, let alone help?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
OK. I have Jaguar 10.2.8 with Mail 1.2.5 (v552). I am at University and connected to a Windows-based network (I don't know any techy stuff, but I'll try and find out if that helps ).

When I open Mail, the app hooks up to my College mailbox fine. But the synchronising between Mail and my email server takes forever. (When I open the Activity Viewer, it says 'Synchronising with Server'). We have these things called Public Folders in our email accounts that contain all of the electronic material for EVERY course at the University.This is a huge amount of stuff. I don't know how Mail works, but I think it is trying to cache all this information in some way. So, yeah. It takes, literally, TEN MINUTES to synch. Trying to do anything else with Mail brings up the Beachball Of Doom. When its finished, Mail 'Closes Unexpectedly' if I click on emails or files in a public folder. The only way I can get University email at the mo is to connect to MS Outlook Web Access which is just the URL of my inbox saved in my Favourites, or use a school PeeCee.

What' wrong?

Can I configure mail to just 'Get Unread Mail Count' from my personal Inbox and the Public Folder that relates to my course?

Are there preferences I can fiddle with?

Thank You