Why does this keep happening to my iBook?!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
In August 2002 I bought a 700 MHz iBook (16 MB VRAM) and all was well. I was happy with the computer but about 6 months later I was using it and it froze and the screen went blank. When I booted it up again thre were fragments of windows all over the screen. The mouse pointer was a giant block of garbage. Booting in OS 9 I got the same result and booting from CDs as well. I called Apple and they walked me through several procedures and eventually it just stopped booting up. (It would chime but there would be no display and the HD wasn't accessing data.)

I sent it back to Apple and they determined thatthe logic board was bad and replaced it. The laptop worked fine again. Two months later, the same thing happened. Apple had it shipped back, logic board was replaced. Then a few months later (this summer) it happened AGAIN. I called Apple raving mad and they said that for my trouble they would ship me a new iBook (900 MHz, 32 MB VRAM). I got the new iBook and loved it! Now, 3 months later that SAME THING happened to this one.

I cannot understand why this is happening to me. I own Macs as old a an SE and quite a few others and have NEVER had anything like this happen. I have never dropped the iBook, I have kept i well ventalated and cool, when I am taking it on the road or to class it always is surrounded by padding and doesn't sustain any impacts. I run regular disk-checkups and maintenace. I cannot undestand it.

Apple denies that it is a problem with these iBooks but I have heard other people say they have had the same thing happen to them. Although they deny it, my iBook (which is at an Apple repair facility now) is not being repaired because they are *OUT OF LOGIC BOARDS*. If this isn't a problem then why would they have run out of logic boards?

Apple can't tell me what component is failing or why this happens just that "the logic board is bad." I do not want this to happen to me again.

Does ANYONE know what causes this? An is there any way I can avoid it from happening again?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I have had the same problem except the lats time my CD burner started going wacky as well. I have had 3 repairs in 2 months, and I have seen my screen flicker a couple of times since I have had it back. As far as I know there is nothing a user can do to cause this problem. I have not done anything but word processing, surfing the web, etc. no hard work, no dropping nada. I hope that if I have to send it back they will send me a new one, but I don't know if i want another iBook if your newer one is also having problems, I wonder if they would let me upgrade to a PowerBook?

Macaddict16
  • Reply 2 of 2
    you could try to argue that the iBook G3 is wiggy, but you still want an iBook

they upgraded you once (from a 700 to a 900MHz)... might get an iBook G4