Are duals much faster than singles?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am getting ready to buy another PowerMac G4 for Photoshop and iMovie and some additional graphic design related work.

Money IS an issue, but so is performance. I can't afford a G5 PowerMac right now, but I can afford a G4. My question is:

Will a dual 1.25GHz G4 PowerMac be considerably faster in Photoshop and iMovie than a single-processor 1.25GHz G4 PowerMac?

I'm willing to pay the extra cash if the difference is SERIOUS, but there are expensive software packages I'd like to buy if I don't really need a dual processor computer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    OMG yes.

You certainly won't regret going dual, but you may regret not doing it.

For those apps, as well as overall system responsiveness, you really can't beat dual processors.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    i'm inclined to say "yes". With a dual processor machine, two operations can fly at the same time (well, technically, two "threads" of operation). I don't know how well threaded Pshop or iMovie are, but having them both open simultaneously and working with them would yield noticeable difference on a dual v. single proc machine. I would imagine, in my blissful ignorance, that a heavy-hitting program like photoshop takes heavy advantage of threads, so on its own it should be noticeably faster on a dual. Even if it isn't, multitasking will be faster on a dual.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    You'll find that a lot of people will say "you have to get a dual no matter what." I don't think it's quite that simple. Duals will really shine under these conditions:

1. You are running a processor-intensive app that is designed to take advantage of multiple processors.

2. You have two processor-intensive apps crunching at the same time, even if they're not optimized for duals.

So, if you run a processor-taxing app a lot, and it really does well with duals, then you should definitely get a dual. They can be close to twice as fast as a single processor on those apps. But it only makes sense if it's really processor-intensive, and you run it a lot. Otherwise, a few seconds a week or something is not worth the money, IMO.

Or, if you run multiple apps at the same time a lot, and they tend to be processor-taxing apps, you should definitely get a dual. But they both should be processor-taxing and you should do it a lot for it to be worth it. For example, it's probably not worth the extra expense to be a little bit faster working in TextEdit while iTunes is playing some music. Together, those two tasks don't tax even a single processor enough to really show that big of a difference for the money it would cost to get a dual, IMO.

I'd look at my usage, and see if I'm in at least one of these two situations regularly enough to make it worth it.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

You'll find that a lot of people will say "you have to get a dual no matter what." I don't think it's quite that simple. Duals will really shine under these conditions:

1. You are running a processor-intensive app that is designed to take advantage of multiple processors.

2. You have two processor-intensive apps crunching at the same time, even if they're not optimized for duals.

So, if you run a processor-taxing app a lot, and it really does well with duals, then you should definitely get a dual. They can be close to twice as fast as a single processor on those apps. But it only makes sense if it's really processor-intensive, and you run it a lot. Otherwise, a few seconds a week or something is not worth the money, IMO.

Or, if you run multiple apps at the same time a lot, and they tend to be processor-taxing apps, you should definitely get a dual. But they both should be processor-taxing and you should do it a lot for it to be worth it. For example, it's probably not worth the extra expense to be a little bit faster working in TextEdit while iTunes is playing some music. Together, those two tasks don't tax even a single processor enough to really show that big of a difference for the money it would cost to get a dual, IMO.

I'd look at my usage, and see if I'm in at least one of these two situations regularly enough to make it worth it.

Well, my single processor G3 machine is S-L-O-W. I'm not sure if it's because it's a G3, a single processor, or both. All I know is I do a TON of Photoshop work, I like to play MP3s while working, and I often use iMovie to create movie files.

I want the fastest machine I can afford, but I'd also like to have a little money left over to upgrade to the newest versions of my software. If the Dual G4 is going to be much faster than the single, I think I'll get the single and take a little while longer to get the newest software. That said, if the dual won't be that much faster, I will get a single and invest in software.

My main concern is with Photoshop. I'm spending most of my day with that app.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    If your prime concern is photoshop, take the dual. Anyway all part of photoshop are not MP aware, but the part who are MP aware, will bring you a boost of 80 %.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    if you can wait until MWSF, new G5s may bump the low end down to G4 prices

and for heavy PS work, a G5 will beat a dual G4 at certain tasks
  • Reply 7 of 8
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I'll agree with Powerdoc on that. The other 20% gets lost in bus and other system inefficiencies.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I'll agree with Powerdoc on that. The other 20% gets lost in bus and other system inefficiencies.

iirc, its not 20% lost, its a great deal less, like 5% or less perhaps. I think moto/ibm are a lot better at handling the duality of machinery, especially compared to intel/amd. atleast, i think from the hdwr perspective its something like 5%. at the OS or kernel level, there's probably a bit more overhead, but i still doubt it amounts to 20%.