iChat AV 2 and MSN 4 (6.1) Mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
What gives?

iChat has been out for what seems forever now without update, and so has MSN 3.5.

My big gripe is that there is no simple cross platform webcamming solution.

iChat AV is great, but only my family members use macs. The sad truth is that since most of the people i know use PCs, they use MSN 6 (which for those of you that don't know, has AV support.) However, the mac version of MSN, 3.5, sucks and does not support AV.

MSN could really get a leg up over apple if they could bring out MSN 6 for mac (I guess it would be MSN 4...but whatever...) or vice versa. if Apple come out with iChat AV 2 for PC, it could really hit microsoft hard.

so whats the freakin hold up?

anyone know anything?

just curious...

-ST

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Haha...MS will never release an non-crippled product for the Mac...keep dreaming.

We have come to an age where even apps don't matter to people. It didn't matter if iTunes and iTMS was available only for Macs...people stuck with PCs. It doesn't matter that iChat + excellent AV features is available only for Macs...people stick with PCs.

In general, people don't seem to care about OS X and the fact that it's unaffected by current viruses. They don't mind getting viruses, or getting Bonzi Buddy or all that shit that PCs are bombarded by.

It's frustrating but that's how it is. If the apps and the OS can't make someone switch...what will? Prices? I don't even think prices will do.

The mentality of using MS products and buying PCs over Macs is ingrained in people. Nothing anyone can do about it.

Apple has little choice but to just start porting Mac-only products such as iChat to the PC. This won't help Apple sell more Macs. But at least the Mac products will have a larger userbase.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    How do you explain pretty much all of Office v.X then?

-ST
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShallowThroat

How do you explain pretty much all of Office v.X then?

-ST

Painfully slow and buggy...not completely compatible with Office PC files. Crippled. Next!
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I believe there is a standard H. Something or other for sending video messaging. If MS stuck to standards the user would be able to choose his/her programme of choice.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Note: iChat AV is already iChat 2.0...
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Wasn't Office X part of a legal settlement between MS and Apple?

Not exactly MS producing a good port of their own backs is it?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I was using the latest version of MSN messenger on a PC the other day, and I was honestly impressed, it blew the socks off AIM, and was comparable to iChat.

the UI was still WAY to cluttered, and the layout was still very lame, but the features were great.

Lots of good emoticons, nice, large buddy avatars, audio AND video chat(didn't use it, can't say how robust it is) Easy access to some options.

it was a good program, I wouldn't mind having that on my mac, or I wouldn't mind if iChat had some better emoticons and bigger avatars
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I am confused by this problem quite a long time, but fortunately I got one not perfect solution, we throw away both iChat, and Msn, but a service called iVisit.net. just get a free authentition code, and you can enjoy their lite version free download, if you are satisfy with it, then pay for extra 20 dollars, and you are upgreded to plus members. but i think the lite version is enough for me to establish the connection with all my pc buddies.

just give it a try, i think there is one normal solution rather than you got no choice.

glücklich!