iBook Clean Install Process?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Since nobody answered me in the genius forum I'll try posting it here:

I'm looking to do a clean install for Panther this weekend and I was wondering if someone could step me through the process to make sure I get everything back. I've done a format on my windows machine before I made the switch. I have all the stuff that came with my computer: the 4 iBook software restore discs, iBook applications disc, and os9 disc, plus the panther install discs. Also I found these steps online for doing a really clean install on a powerbook, what would I have to do to my iBook to completely start over such as reseting the PMU and firmware, and also zapping PRAM.:

"If you are having hardware issues with your PowerBook and want to really start over, try this method (as suggested by Apple tech support) of doing a really clean install.

Back up all your data

Shut down system

Remove power and the battery

Remove keyboard and reset PMU -- there is a small button in the top right hand side under the keyboard in an oval shaped hole. Push the button.

Plug power in

Reboot into Open Firmware (hold down Command-Option-O-F when you turn on your machine)

In Open Firmwarre, type reset-nvram (you should get an OK in response)

In Open Firmware, type in reset-all (your machine should reboot, have your Jaguar DVD/CD ready)

Insert Jaguar DVD/CD and hold down the 'C' key to boot from the DVD/CD

Do a fresh install of OS X, and choose to 'Erase Disk'

Update to 10.2.3 (I used the Combo installer)"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    What's your question? Just doing a clean install? If that's the case, all you have to do is backup your files and start the Panther installation, choosing "clean install" from the selections.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    My quesitons is how would I do things like reseting the PMU and firmware, and also zapping PRAM on an iBook I would think its different then doing it on a powerbook. And in the clean install process do I have to reinstall classic first before I install Panther. Also what applications come on the panther installer and what ones would I have to install off of my iBook applications and iBook restore disks.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    mcsjgsmcsjgs Posts: 244member
    Seems like a lot to do if you are not having hardware problems. See previous post for clean install from Panther install disks.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I have been having some hardware problems though. A couple random shutdowns recently and also my optical mouse goes to sleep with the computer but doesn't wake up when the computer does. Also when listening to my iPod docked connected to the iBook it stops and the charging symbols comes up.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ringo20000

My quesitons is how would I do things like reseting the PMU and firmware, and also zapping PRAM on an iBook I would think its different then doing it on a powerbook. And in the clean install process do I have to reinstall classic first before I install Panther. Also what applications come on the panther installer and what ones would I have to install off of my iBook applications and iBook restore disks.

AI GB FAQ. There's a post in there about resetting the power manager. Zapping the PRAM is the same on all machines (option + cmd + p + r, let the "bong" go off 3 times and let go). As for applications, the standard iApps are installed. The rest you need to install from your iBook restore cds. Make sure you only install the applications and not restore the drive. There's a choice for that.

Reinstall classic? Do you REALLY want to have classic installed? If so, you can just install it after you install Panther. Just stick your OS 9 disk in the drive and install it.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    I just finished doing a clean install and I put in my iBook restore disks and it said in order to restore the software on the disks my hard drive would have to be formatted. Do I need the stuff on these disks or is it the same stuff on the panther disks?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ringo20000

I just finished doing a clean install and I put in my iBook restore disks and it said in order to restore the software on the disks my hard drive would have to be formatted. Do I need the stuff on these disks or is it the same stuff on the panther disks?

There's some stuff on there that isn't in the Panther install (Appleworks, etc), but there should be an "Applications" cd. That's all you need. If you MUST get to some of stuff on those disks, there are ways, but it's long and convoluted.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Yeah I do have 2 sets of disks one thats an applications disk which I installed everything off of and a set of 4 iBook restore disks. I thought there was also software on the restore disks too but I guys not.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Look on Apple's support pages for resetting your PMU, if it's a white iBook it's a little button you push in with a paper clip near the ports on the left.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Look on Apple's support pages for resetting your PMU, if it's a white iBook it's a little button you push in with a paper clip near the ports on the left.

It's actually different for different models of the dual USB ibooks. I posted a how-to in the AI GB FAQ for many of the most recent models.