I will miss you MP3.com

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ohh how this makes me sick... I guess I should have seen it coming but none the less it hurts to loose a friend of many years. MP3.com will be shut down as it was just bought by CNET.

Quote:

News of the deal first surfaced in an e-mail sent by MP3.com to its customers and posted to its site late Thursday. In the e-mail, MP3.com informed users that its Web site would no longer be accessible in its current form and that CNET Networks plans to reintroduce the music site with new features and services. MP3.com said that after the site?s removal, all of the online content on its servers will be deleted and promised that previously submitted musical works in its possession will be destroyed.

WHAT MP3.COM COULD HAVE BEEN

MP3.com was once the standard-bearer for digital visionaries looking to the Internet to undermine the power of the traditional music business. By offering free online storage space and access to any band, signed or not, the company and founder Michael Robertson hoped to create a new distribution mechanism that would expand how people got music and what kind of music they listened to.

Link

Sad I am as I have downloaded so so many different kinds of beautiful music from their site. I have found artists I would have never found from any other source.

This democracy is now soon to be gone.

Did any of you use MP3.com?

Your thoughts?

Fellows

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Personally I've never used it, but I really hope that this loss can turn into an increased usage of the P2P apps out there. I hope someone comes up with a relatively full-proof way for people to share music without anyone looking over their shoulder.

I buy more CDs than probably anyone else here. Please don't talk to me about pirating. Thanks.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    This is an outrage - a lot of my friends have music on the site, and I have found a lot of great music over the years - things I never would have found otherwise.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    wow. i didn't realize. yeah i've used mp3.com. found some good tunes
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Another roadblock on the Information Highway. What did we expect? An open and free medium? No, not when greedy corporations and self-minded governments slowly get wind of it...and make it their own. Good bye Internet. Good bye freedom and choice.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    this was one of the first distribution mechanisms for my old band...we were a featured artist and one point and it spiked a hundred or so CD sales in a couple days...from an artist's perspective, it was a GREAT place.

i downloaded music occassionally, and discovered many good bands. i will be sad to see it go
  • Reply 6 of 13
    i used mp3.com a couple of times in the early days. it was ok, but i never got to attached to it. to much crap to wade through. i'm more partial to epitonic.com. much better selection of the kind of music that i'm more or less into. and most importantly, tons of free downloads.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    aaplaapl Posts: 124member
    Internet radio is where it's at. Now with DSL and Cable being more ubiquitous, hopefully better quality streams will be available. Live365 is a great service where private citizens can program their own radio station. Its' really fantastic.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I've downloaded gigabytes of songs from MP3.com. A few years ago that was most of my iTunes playlist. I'm going to really miss MP3.com.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Done. Just downloaded 3.24 GB if the best Electronic and comedy. Feel better now. \

Anyone want to share their fav bands/groups on MP3.com?

Just some of mine.

Comedy- Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie "Internet Help desk"

Electronic- Trance [] Control, Astral Projection, Amok Vibes, Bassic, Aura - the source of trance, The Cynic Project...

Like always, some songs are good and some can be baaadd...

8)
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Done. Just downloaded 3.24 GB if the best Electronic and comedy. Feel better now. \

Anyone want to share their fav bands/groups on MP3.com?

Just some of mine.

Comedy- Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie "Internet Help desk"

Electronic- Trance [] Control, Astral Projection, Amok Vibes, Bassic, Aura - the source of trance, The Cynic Project...

Like always, some songs are good and some can be baaadd...

8)

Did you DL them one at a time or do you have some way of doing a whole list of them auto?

That is a large amount! 3.24 g

Fellows
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Option-click all the download links you want. Safari will download 4 at a time until the whole batch is done. Although my Dual G5 slows down with 150 in the waiting list.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Option-click all the download links you want. Safari will download 4 at a time until the whole batch is done. Although my Dual G5 slows down with 150 in the waiting list.

That is just amazing! and I only have a few days to use this info!

I just hate that they are going!!!!

Fellows
  • Reply 13 of 13
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    All's not lost... yet. According to this slashdot submission, mp3.com ceo Michael Robertson has asked for the archive to be given to the internet archive.