iMac G4 DVD Encoding Times

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Ok, the new iMac has an 800mhz G4. The original superdrive G4 had a 733mhz G4 with what 1mb of L2 cache? (I'm not sure about that). But it was able to encode at 2x. So however long your movie was, double it and it would take that long to encode it to DVD format.

Now Apple claims the G4 tower can do it at 1x.

So what does this mean for the iMacs 800mhz G4 with that small amount of cache? 1x? 2x? 1.5x?

Does anyone know if Apple lists the average encode speeds??

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by Willoughby:

<strong>Ok, the new iMac has an 800mhz G4. The original superdrive G4 had a 733mhz G4 with what 1mb of L2 cache? (I'm not sure about that). But it was able to encode at 2x. So however long your movie was, double it and it would take that long to encode it to DVD format.

Now Apple claims the G4 tower can do it at 1x.

So what does this mean for the iMacs 800mhz G4 with that small amount of cache? 1x? 2x? 1.5x?

Does anyone know if Apple lists the average encode speeds??

Thanks</strong><hr></blockquote>

Willoughby,

(EDIT: oops - Maybe I mis-read your question - I'm talking about BURN speed and you are asking about ENCODE speed based on cache etc... nevermind then I guess)

I'm thinking you are a bit confused (or is it me?)

Usually, 2x is twice as FAST as 1x when talking about write speeds on CD's DVD writers. So 2x would take 1/2 the time as 1x.... it isn't a multiplier - 2x is not twice as long.

Ariel

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: Ariel ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by Ariel:

<strong>

Willoughby,

(EDIT: oops - Maybe I mis-read your question - I'm talking about BURN speed and you are asking about ENCODE speed based on cache etc... nevermind then I guess)

I'm thinking you are a bit confused (or is it me?)

Usually, 2x is twice as FAST as 1x when talking about write speeds on CD's DVD writers. So 2x would take 1/2 the time as 1x.... it isn't a multiplier - 2x is not twice as long.

Ariel

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: Ariel ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

With WRITING data you're correct. However with Encoding the 2x is a multiplier. I'm not talking about the drive at all but I guess iDVD and the G4 processor. Remember, the content has to be encoded into the DVD format (mpeg2 I think) in order for it to be read on DVD players. All of that happens before you even begin to burn. Once the data is encoded, THEN it burns at 8x or

(Data Length)/8

So my question is:

How long will an iMac G4 and iDVD take to encode data to the DVD format?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    The new iMacs ship with X as defult. iDVD 2 works with X and uses Multitasking to begin encoding while you work on your DVD, so once you do finish customizing your DVD some or all of the tracks have already been converted. This also affects speed because even before you ckick burn, the DVD has already been partially prepared for burning.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    neomacneomac Posts: 145member
    The PM 733 encodes at 2:1.

The PM Dual-800 encodes at 1:1

The iMac800 most likely encodes at 2:1 or less.

I'm curious to see what even faster G4s can accomplish.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    So I guess no one has an accurate estimate yet. Well, I guess I'll just have to find out for myself

IF I can actually manage to get one of those little babies