games good for the ibook g3???

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm not a huge gamer anymore, mostly b/c I don't have the time. However, I do enjoy an occassional escapism into an interactive environment.

What games would run well on the G3 900 ibook? I don't want something cuttin' edge that is going frustrate me cuz my hardware can't accelerate it properly.

I'm more into RPG and Strategy games, I like the occasional FPS game. But I'm not big into Platformers. Would Warcraft III be any good on my book. I do have the RAM maxed.

Additionally, are there any graphics card upgrades that I could consider?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I believe warcraft would run good on your ibook you could alo try neverwinter nights, might take a while though if you play casually.

edit: you can try demo's before you buy from macgamefiles
  • Reply 2 of 7
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Warcraft III will be a stretch on an iBook G3. It's kind of slow even on my GHz eMac.

Quake III Arena should run really well. My iBook could handle it easily at max settings. Same with Unreal Tournament (NOT Unreal Tournament 2003). Max Payne was okay at fairly low settings, and there are some games that are fun with very low system requirements: Fallout 2, EV Nova, and Deimos Rising to name a few.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I hear there is a pretty solid MineSweeper clone for the mac that might run on your iBook.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Warcraft 3 is terrible on anything below a ghz g4 on osx....it runs really good under OS9 on my G4/400 though
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

Warcraft 3 is terrible on anything below a ghz g4 on osx....it runs really good under OS9 on my G4/400 though

FUD. I've got an 867 G4 (12" powerbook) and it runs great.

The Sims should run very well on that iBook.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I can run Warcraft III on my G4 Cube 450mhz 384mb of ram 16mb of VRAM. I have to set everything down a little, but it runs it. The sims runs fine with everything on the highest. Other than that, I don't play any games, I wouldn't expect too much out of your iBook though.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    originally posted by LoCash

Quote:

hear there is a pretty solid MineSweeper clone for the mac that might run on your iBook.

Good deal. But it's not Solataire.

originally posted by DMBand0026

Quote:

I wouldn't expect too much out of your iBook though

Nah, no high expectations. Just trying to figure out what I can run acceptably. I want a good game that I don't have to turn around and exchange b/c I'm frustrated with how slow it runs on a G3.

I've considered the Sims, but don't really have the time to pick up another dirty habit. I may give Unreal a try, I've never played it but it looks like a few hrs of fun when I don't have Photoshop stuff to do.

originally posted by cybermonkey

Quote:

edit: you can try demo's before you buy from macgamefiles

Cool, I'll check it out, thanks.