Tell me if this is a good deal for internet

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Tired of this 56gay shitty ass service so sometime in the near future Im gonna get broadband. I found out a while ago that from our cable provider you can get cable internet as well. There is a package for cable tv & internet for 69.99/month, which gives 4.0 Mbps downstream. Do you think this is a good deal? The package a step below that is the 2.0 Mbps one and its only $10 less per month. I would say the 4.0 for 69.99 is good considering that I think cable tv alone is like 35-40 bucks a month, so you are basically paying that or less for 4.0 mbps cable connection.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Yep, it's a good deal. I think it's around $45 here for cable internet, 1.5 Mbps speed.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    sorry, mis-read the thread.

yeah, that does look like a good deal, what's the upstream rate?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    In all honesty the specs of cable aren't necessarily the whole story. I went from DSL - 768 down and 384 up - to cable - 1.5 down at least and suppostedly no cap on the upload. My DSL was a local place - awesome - and now my cable is from Adelphia. I have to say this cable is the biggest ripoff I have ever encountered. There are time during the day where it is at least as slow as dialup. Sad fact is there are just too many people on this cable line.

Long story short with cable - if you have a lot of people on your fibre it doesn't matter what your up or down is, it will be molasses. I am looking into getting DSL again, but the packages at my new house are shiite. 1.5 down + 128k up for $60 just isn't right.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    I have 500k down and 128 up for 30 a month. I'm really happy with the speed, no matter what part of the day it is. It's cable by the way. However, I don't have cable TV, so the price is affected by that. I love my cable, I will never go back to dialup. I might have gotten DSL, but it isn't available in my area, so I went with cable as soon as it came out for my city.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    yeah, that's the big problem with cable modem, but ultimately it will ALWAYS beat 56k, even if it is acting slow sometimes, it's always on, and doesn't take up a phone line, and it won't always be slow during the day.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Well I hear this service is good...and that people actually get higher speeds a olt of times. Not exactly sure about the upload speed but I think its somewhere around 500 somethin kbps...so not very fast but oh well (cant seem to see any services that offer very fast uploads). Literally anything is better than what Im on now though.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    For most people a fast upload rate isn't important. Unless you are frequently sending out large files it won't matter...
  • Reply 8 of 13
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    $8 for 1-8 mbit (right now 3) each way.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Quote:

My DSL was a local place - awesome - and now my cable is from Adelphia.

AHHHHHHH! THE HORROR, THE HORROR!!!!!

I hate Adelphia. Charter has been *so much better*, it's not even funny.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I pay $69.99 for 2.7Mbps down, 256K up. I wish I had your slower option to save a little dough.\
  • Reply 11 of 13
    trowatrowa Posts: 176member
    dslreports is a good place to find info about broadband service providers in your area.

dslreports

I use optimum online 8 Mb down 1 Mb up

very nice and a great improvement over Verizon DSL. the thing with DSL is you have to figure out how far away you are from their Central station. Dslreports will also help you with that as well.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    I looked at reports on that site a while ago...seems like there are no problems with this service. Still very expensive to me though, but its the best solution and I would shell out for it even if I couldnt afford it...but will be a while before I can get it. I was actually plannin on setting up an FTP once I got a good connection so upload speed does kinda matter, but I think this is the best upload I can get. Im not in the suburbs so do you think they will still do the service????
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by TigerWoods99

I looked at reports on that site a while ago...seems like there are no problems with this service. Still very expensive to me though, but its the best solution and I would shell out for it even if I couldnt afford it...but will be a while before I can get it. I was actually plannin on setting up an FTP once I got a good connection so upload speed does kinda matter, but I think this is the best upload I can get. Im not in the suburbs so do you think they will still do the service????

You should read their terms of service before you get it if you are planning on having a server. Many of the bigger ISPs specifically say you can't - but that might just be for cable and not DSL since DSL isn't shared...

There might be a place on the site where you can put in your number to see if DSL is available. It can be pretty spotty in some places because you have to be within I believe 10,000feet of an office because the quality degrades too much if you are out further than that...