Browsing Around and Found This - iSight Security Cam

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was browsing around and found this, someone made a security cam with their iSight... very clever. Check out the post...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1106348

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacUsers

I was browsing around and found this, someone made a security cam with their iSight... very clever. Check out the post...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1106348

That is funny

Fellows
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Good idea.. I would like to monitor those freshman here as well.. they are freakin' noisy....

the bottomline.. will someone jack the iSight?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kenneth

will someone jack the iSight?

Ya, I would love doing that too but I wound't want my iSight stolen
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I would never do that, I don't have $149 to buy myself a new iSight...oh wait, I don't have $149 to buy myself A iSight. However, I could see that working. Hope it all works out for him.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Sorry, but that's a disaster waiting to happen...

So little snot-nosed college kids will destroy ceiling tiles, BUT they'd - in good conscience - leave a snazzy, shiny web cam thing alone, huh?

They wouldn't dare a) yank it down b) break it c) steal it d) any other bad thing you can think of.

And what if they pulled/yanked on it in such a way that it pulled on his PowerBook and broke a port OR pulled/yanked the PowerBook off its shelf and broke it to pieces?

Yeah, this is a good scenario here...gonna end in broken gadgetry and heartache.

In theory the idea is good. I just think that iSight is mounted a little too close to the action and a bit TOO accessible (appears to be right on the lip of the tile supports...any idiot can reach up and grab it to do whatever they want). I would've made the effort to hide it up higher somehow, in the dark of the ceiling...maybe even disguise it a bit by putting some fake duct work or electrical box around it.

As it is, it may as well have a "Hi, I'm an expensive Apple FireWire webcam...please take me and do as you will with me!" sign on it.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Make sure the video feed is backed up on an analog source, or a second digital source. When the camera and computer are broken the video will still be available for prosecution.

Or get a baseball bat.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Make sure the video feed is backed up on an analog source, or a second digital source. When the camera and computer are broken the video will still be available for prosecution.

Or get a baseball bat.

I would have to go with the bat. Much more effective, and fun too.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    actually i did something similar.

our new dog has a really bad habit of digging in the backyard. the other week i was home sick, so the dogs were free to run in and out of the house. problem with this was that our new dog would run out there, dig a hole, then track dirt into the house.

since i was working downstairs, it was hard to me to keep coming up and checking on her.

however, i found a simple solution. (ok, it worked. probably not simple)

i hooked up my iSight to my wife's Powerbook, and had the camera pointed outside. i then installed Apple Remote desktop.

started up iChat on her machine and had it preview the video signal.

then all i'd do is from my machine downstairs, connect to her computer and see what her computer is seeing.

it was great. every time the dog was digging i'd go outside and catch her at it. after a few days of this she stopped digging.

best use for my iSight yet.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I would have to go with the bat. Much more effective, and fun too.

It is a sunny day here in the dorm room... as DMBand0026 steps up to the plate... he taps the plate... the swing... it's a nice long one down the hall and into the stairway. Wow. That iSight did not even see that one,