Warning to earthlink users (scam notice)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
i recieved the following email today, thought i'd let anyone else here know in case they get the same:

Quote:

Dear Earthlink valued customer,

We regret to inform you, that we were unable to charge your card. This maybe due to our payment processing failure, billing system overload, invalid card number, exp date, daily limit, insufficient funds, or other reasons. We need you to re-enter valid payment and verification information.

Click here to continue payment verification process - https://earthlink.net/payment/verification.cgi

Your information will be submitted via a secure server. Earthlink keeps all of your contact and billing information confidential and private.

the link actually leads you to this site which then asks you for credit card and social security info. i emailed earthlink about this, but im not sure their is much they can do, as after running a traceroute, i found that the macine it is hosted on is in south korea.

so asside from warning you guys about this, i was wondering if there is anything else we can do to make this guys life suck.

anyone know any ways to get his ip (211.230.148.73) on a DoS attack hit list for instance?

or maybe hack the server and put up a diff page?

probably more effort than its worth, im just finding this guy very very irritating at the moment.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    i probably should have tried this earlier, but i went to the ip address in the url and it turned out to be some film commision web site, i sent their webmaster an email about the page, hopefully something will come of that.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    There is a Citibank one going around as well:

Dear Citibank Member,

This email was sent by the Citibank server to verify your e-mail

address. You must complete this process by clicking on the link

below and entering in the small window your Citibank ATM/Debit

Card number and PIN that you use on ATM.

This is done for your protection -- because some of our members

no longer have access to their email addresses and we must

verify it.

To verify your e-mail address and access your bank account,

click on the link below. If nothing happens when you click on the

link (or if you use AOL), copy and paste the link into the address

bar of your web browser.

Yeah.... right...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I guess I shouldn't be shocked that people fall for this crap. When ever I hit a page that's asking too many questions I back out of it.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I unplug everything, pour alcohol on all my exposed components and hide my monitor in a hole in the backyard for three days just to make sure they didn't get to me.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    well i got the earthlink one, and one of the questions asked what your pin # was for your debit card.

i mean anyone who gives them that deserves to be fleeced......well not really, but come on!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Do you guys think I should stop payment if a charge goes through?