Video camera as a webcam

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi, I searched the forums but have been unable to find my answers, so I'm hoping someone might be able to help me.

Rather than buy a webcam, I'd like to use my Sony DCR PC9 as one. I've connected it to my G4 powerbook using ichat but get no picture when everything's connected. Am I doing something wrong? I didn't actually have anyone on the other line, I just wanted to see whether or not it'll work before resorting to buying a webcam. So I guess I have 2 questions. 1) I can use my video camera on my G4 powerbook, right? 2) How? Is ichat a bad choice? My friends all use msn messenger and that's all I'd use. Buut I'm curious as to why I couldn't see any picture when I'd connected my vid cam into my firewire and opened ichat. It seemed I had sound though. Thanks guys.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I use my cannon (forgot model number) for my webcam instead of buying an iSight. My only problem is that it has an "auto power off" feature that turns off power after the camera has been idol for a certain period of time. I solve that by taking the tape out, using AC power and when it tells me it's going to turn the power off I just hit the record button so it leaves it on. Sometimes when I connect it to my Cube when both the computer and the camera are on I don't get sound, or I don't get a picture. Unplug the firewire cable from the camera and plug it back in, keep trying till you get both picture and sound. Works for me. Good luck. If it doesn't work, go for the iSight. Sweet little camera, not a better one out there.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    The isight isn't compatible with MSN though is it. I live overseas, and all of my family back home use hotmail, msn on pc's. I'm the only one with a mac. If I bought a webcam, would I need to buy a logitech cam?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I wasn't aware that there was video conferencing software for MSN. If there is, I'm not sure if the iSight will work, the logitec should. I would guess that the iSight would work, but I really don't know.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Well you can have all of them switch to Yahoo messenger so you can at least have video conferencing between yourself and their pcs while chatting. Or you can all use ivisit, which is free for their lite version and do audio/video chat that way. Any simple firewwire webcam should do, if you have the money get the isight it is great
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Thanks guys. I'll do some research on ivisit too. My main purpose will be to use video with chat and I was told msm won't allow the audio to work (I'm actually also not sure whether or not they have vid conferencing). Anyway, if yahoo works with video, then there's no probs, as I just want my parents to be able to see my baby from me in Taiwan to them in Australia while we're chatting. I really want the isight for christmas (dropped the hint to my wife last night). Thanks again, and if there's anything to add, please do. Amos.