Hypercard is back?! Version 2.4!!!!!!!!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Since when? I remember playing with Hypercard on my Mac LC back in the hey days. Somewhere along the way Apple stopped developing Hypercard. I was browsing Apple Store for software when I came across Hypercard 2.4

Quote: "Hypercard 2.4

$99.00

HyperCard is Apple's premier tool for creating custom software solutions for business, education, and multimedia--and now, the World Wide Web!"

When did Apple reintroduce Hypercard? Has anyone here used it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

Since when? I remember playing with Hypercard on my Mac LC back in the hey days. Somewhere along the way Apple stopped developing Hypercard. I was browsing Apple Store for software when I came across Hypercard 2.4

I don't know how new it is: if you click the more info button you're told all about how you can harness the power of QuickTime 3 !
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Umm, HyperCard never "left". It's been at the store all this time.

The latest release, 2.4.1, was introduced 1998-07-24.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Quote: "Hypercard 2.4

$99.00

HyperCard is Apple's premier tool for creating custom software solutions for business, education, and multimedia--and now, the World Wide Web!"

Go ahead and order it. I wonder if it'll ever ship.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gabid

I don't know how new it is: if you click the more info button you're told all about how you can harness the power of QuickTime 3 !

Now why would Apple keep that around in it's Apple Store?!
  • Reply 5 of 12
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

Now why would Apple keep that around in it's Apple Store?!

Yeah, why would Apple keep such out-dated software at their store.

[cough] AppleWorks [cough]
  • Reply 6 of 12
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    HyperCard is still used and useful. There are old Macs running all kinds of machinery via HyperCard at the hospital here, and HC is also used extensively in education. So the answer is, it's there for legacy support.

Alas, there's no sign sofar that it'll come out of its current undead state. A pity, because OS X has the capability to turn HyperCard into a truly astonishing thing. Just one tidbit: OS X is all about internet standards, and one of those is the Web, which is a hypertext medium. HyperCard is, of course, also hypertext. The web, increasingly, is database driven. HyperCard, of course, was database driven. You see where this is going. HyperCard + QuickTime (with flash built in!) + .Mac + Apache + Rendezvous... and who needs a "web design app" again? How limiting!
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

Go ahead and order it. I wonder if it'll ever ship.

it may ship on Floppies
  • Reply 8 of 12
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Most people had switched to HyperStudio by the time HyperCard 2.4 was released...
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

it may ship on Floppies

What? I got OS X.3 on floppies! There were like 1253 of them, but I pulled it off.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    we use Hypercard 2.4. Yes it shipped (15 licenses) and it comes on CD Rom. Its the most awesome package ever.

The curious thing is that despite its age and the fact that it is black and white when I showed it to my first years for the first time (all of whom have grown up on "superfast whizz bang" PCs) they all seem to go:

"Whoah!"

and

"can u get this for PC?"
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Is this thread a joke? What's the system requirement for Hypercard anyway?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Well, I don't think it's a joke....what it is, is a cult.

Hypercard fanatics never die, they just get a little.....you finish the joke.

Anyway, you hypercard freaks should be aware that programming pages in WML is not entirely unlike hypercard...in fact, it is referred to in similar terminology...decks and cards.

In fact, I think that I will discuss this fact over in General Discussion....