Hard Drive Replacements?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have a question I'm sure someone out there already knows. Being that everyone in these threads says that hard drives are the biggest bottleneck to computing, what other technologies out there could be used to replace it? My guess is that IBM and other manufacturers of hard drives are actively pursuing a replacement for the hard drive. Any ideas as to what that could be? What is the likely timeframe for adoption of the new technology? Just thought I'd ask being that future Apple products will likely push to incorporate this technology to increase performance. Please share your thoughts.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    One day the HD will be replaced by static ram, just like the stuff you use in your machine now, but faster and a lot more of it. If you consider that 512 mb of PC3200 ram costs $94* USD and most computers come standard with no less than an 80 gb HD your looking at a cost of about $15,040 USD for 80gb of storage space. Thats the problem with it now. You are correct, the HD is the biggest bottleneck in the system (most of the time) and this will fix that, but not for a good number of years. Till than, we have HDs getting faster and faster (up to 10,000 RPM last time I checked) and they will get faster, but there will be a limit on what they can do, even if we eventually see something like 20,000 RPM that will generate too much noise and heat. The speed of RAM is basically limitless with improving tech. Someday we will see HDs removed from computers and systems will be tons faster, but that won't be for years. Hope I answered your question.

*Dollar figures are US dollars, based on data from http://www.crucial.com/
  • Reply 2 of 4
    we have 15,000rpm scsi drives, we've had those for a a year or two
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

we have 15,000rpm scsi drives, we've had those for a a year or two

I guess I don't keep up on all tech well enough, sorry. Thanks for the correction Altivec.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brian Green

I have a question I'm sure someone out there already knows. Being that everyone in these threads says that hard drives are the biggest bottleneck to computing, ...

I wouldn't say that at all.