Wait for iTMS Canada making Limewire tempting.

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
How difficult is it to negotiate licensing in Canada since most labels are affiliates of the American parent one?

There's a service called Puretracks.com which just opened up a month or so ago. No Mac support and they have only about 175K songs.

Come on...I want to be legit...but this wait is making the other option more and more tempting by the day.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

How difficult is it to negotiate licensing in Canada since most labels are affiliates of the American parent one?

There's a service called Puretracks.com which just opened up a month or so ago. No Mac support and they have only about 175K songs.

Come on...I want to be legit...but this wait is making the other option more and more tempting by the day.

Wow, it must be REAL hard to wait. I think I'd rather swear off music than use Limewire. That's the worst software I've ever used. Poisoned man, poisoned.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by pensieve

Wow, it must be REAL hard to wait. I think I'd rather swear off music than use Limewire. That's the worst software I've ever used. Poisoned man, poisoned.

Limewire isn't THAT bad. I'm in the same boat. I use the iTMS to browse and look for the songs, then download them from limewire.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    On limewire and poisoned you run the risk of being sued by the RIAA due to the fact that they are on the same networks as Kazaa, morphious...ect.

And your right pensive, limewire is about the worst software ever, if you don't count MS's stuff
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

On limewire and poisoned you run the risk of being sued by the RIAA due to the fact that they are on the same networks as Kazaa, morphious...ect.

Last time I checked, the Recording Industry Association of America didn't really exist up here in the Great White North.

Ohyeah, by the way, file sharing is legal here

We Canadians have paid a levy on all our blank media since March 19, 1998 (21 cents per CD, 77 cents per minidisc, 29 cents per audio cassette tape, all explained here). This levy is collected and goes to our "Recording Industry Association".

It's all part of the Canadian Copyright Act, which allows us to lend our retail CD to a friend, and they are allowed to burn a copy then give it back, so we each have a copy. PERFECTLY LEGAL! We are NOT allowed, however, to burn a copy, then give it to them.

This is perfect for file-sharing, because I'm making a copy for myself, and every song on a file sharing network must belong to SOMEONE originally
  • Reply 5 of 6
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Limewire is trash. Nobody can be THAT desperate. Hang on, brave soul. iTMS is coming.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Phroggy

We Canadians have paid a levy on all our blank media since March 19, 1998 (21 cents per CD, 77 cents per minidisc, 29 cents per audio cassette tape, all explained here). This levy is collected and goes to our "Recording Industry Association".

It's all part of the Canadian Copyright Act, which allows us to lend our retail CD to a friend, and they are allowed to burn a copy then give it back, so we each have a copy. PERFECTLY LEGAL! We are NOT allowed, however, to burn a copy, then give it to them.

This is perfect for file-sharing, because I'm making a copy for myself, and every song on a file sharing network must belong to SOMEONE originally

Same here in Finland. In fact, you can also make a copy for a friend - you just can't sell CDs.

I disagree with levies on blank media. You never know what people are going to stuff on a compact disc, hard drive, etc. and I don't like that government making guesses in our behalf. The amounts of music that is pirated by a single person vary (at least) between 1 and 40Gb, and it's certain that the amount of media consumed by those people does not vary in those proportions. It might happen that the person who has warez'd 1Gb of music de-encodes all of that music onto CD's, thus consuming 10 CD:s. Meanwhile, the 40Gb music owner never touches a single CD, preferring to consume his music in digital form only.

That alone guarantees that the levies will not be anywhere near proportional to music use. But it gets worse; even if we assume everyone uses a certain percentage of his media to pirate stuff, the pirated data on the media has drastically different prices. Say, 2Gb of music (20 CD's) versus one movie. Do movie folks get a part of the levy in Canada?

In all, this kind of levy makes the beneficiary (recording association) a part of government, something it is definitely not supposed to be. If the record labels are too dense to sell their products in a way attractive to customers, let them go the way of the dinosaurs.. AFAIK new technology, web commerce, web advertising, virtual enthusiast communities, makes it possible for artists to sell their stuff without a huge organization in between.