Wherefore art thou iBook?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Sigh. So here's when living in Canada isn't all that great. Sure, we have not much crime and free health care. But want a new Mac? Be prepared to wait!

All I'm trying to do is get my hands on a new 12" G4 iBook. The trouble is that I realised just last week that I need it, and I need it by this weekend.

This has lead to a mad calling spree throughout Montreal and Ottawa trying to track this hardware down. But no go. Seems the odd dealer has got a couple of units in but they have all sold out. Tough luck for me!

My personal favourate call was to one store that made me all happy by telling me they had 2 in stock, then when I went to reserve it and confirm the price the salesman realised I was asking for an "i" not a "Power" Book

Anyhow, no real point here but to share my frustration with some folks who can also appreciate the joys of shopping for a Mac . Poor Apple: want to give away MORE of my money to them and they just won't take it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    apple is same day shipping iBooks at the apple store u.s.

is this not the case in canada? even with 2 day shipping it would arrive by thursday.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gabid

Sigh. So here's when living in Canada isn't all that great. Sure, we have not much crime and free health care. But want a new Mac? Be prepared to wait!

Wait, you messed that up, you said free health care...you must have meant crappy free healthcare.

But that sucks, hope everything turns out okay for you.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

apple is same day shipping iBooks at the apple store u.s.

is this not the case in canada? even with 2 day shipping it would arrive by thursday.

Were that were the case: 3-5 business days until ship. Also, I think the "expidited" option in Canada isn't as fast as 2 days last time I checked.

I actually find this somewhat odd because usually the Canadian and American ship times are the same. I wonder why there is the discrepancy this time.

I guess the fates are against me this time; I'm even willing to forgo academic pricing this once and pay (shock! horror!) retail price!
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Your'e so spoilt you don't even know what you're saying!

15" AlPB (BTO 5400RPM HD) via Apple Store UK HE...

Ordered 17 September

Received 17 October

Inevitable replacement...

Ordered 24 October

Actioned 03 November

*Awaiting Delivery* as of 17 November

TWO MONTHS waiting for a fully-functioning Mac... now that's something to cry about.

• Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

Your'e so spoilt you don't even know what you're saying!

15" AlPB (BTO 5400RPM HD) via Apple Store UK HE...

Ordered 17 September

Received 17 October

Inevitable replacement...

Ordered 24 October

Actioned 03 November

*Awaiting Delivery* as of 17 November

TWO MONTHS waiting for a fully-functioning Mac... now that's something to cry about.

True it could be worse. And belive me, my heart goes out to you. Heck, if my budget was limitless I'd pick you up a 12" AlBookm to tide you over (those I can get off the shelf, no problem).
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Wait, you messed that up, you said free health care...you must have meant crappy free healthcare.

But that sucks, hope everything turns out okay for you.

Yay! Luckily things did work out. Turns out one of the stores I had called yesterday that told me they were out of stock had actually put one aside for me because of an e-mail I had sent last week. So now I have my iBook sitting in the box next to me here at work waiting to be taken home and played with.