iSight Processor Requirement for G4?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This is what I read in on place,

1) Video conferencing requires a 600MHz or faster PowerPC G3, a PowerPC G4, or a PowerPC G5 processor; broadband Internet access (100 Kbps or faster); and a compatible FireWire DV camera or web camera.

Ok, I'm not sure if I should read what it says or what I think they mean by this. The way I read this, the processor can be any speed as long as it is a G4. What is the slowest G4 that was sold by Apple. I have a PowerMac G4 400 MHz with 512 MB of ram, so by what this says, my computer should be fine. However, what I think they mean, although it isn't stated clearly is that if the computer is G3 or G4, it needs to be at least 600 MHz. If anyone could clarify, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Alexander the Great

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Looks to me that comma makes it two different things. Any G4 will do. It may be needed for the video compression.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alexander the Great

This is what I read in on place,

1) Video conferencing requires a 600MHz or faster PowerPC G3, a PowerPC G4, or a PowerPC G5 processor; broadband Internet access (100 Kbps or faster); and a compatible FireWire DV camera or web camera.

Ok, I'm not sure if I should read what it says or what I think they mean by this. The way I read this, the processor can be any speed as long as it is a G4. What is the slowest G4 that was sold by Apple. I have a PowerMac G4 400 MHz with 512 MB of ram, so by what this says, my computer should be fine. However, what I think they mean, although it isn't stated clearly is that if the computer is G3 or G4, it needs to be at least 600 MHz. If anyone could clarify, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Alexander the Great

slowest G4 Apple shipped was 350Mhz. iSight and iChatAV work on all G4s and 600mhz and faster G3s. I use iChatAV on my PowerMac G4/400 AGP and it works amazingly well.