The new iMac - does it have a fan?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The title says it all, really.

I'm new here, and about to take the Mac plunge but I am curious as to whether the new iMacs running a G4 processor means that they now need a fan. Does anyone know?

I've searched a bit this forum's archives, and Apples website but didn't find the answer.

Friends have the old iMacs, and I did like their silence. Hope the new ones are the same!

Cheers!

David

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mklmkl Posts: 5member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by David Hill:

[QB]The title says it all, really.

yes, they do have a fan. but it running quite silent, according to some tech infos.

Michael
  • Reply 2 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by David Hill:

<strong>The title says it all, really.

I'm new here, and about to take the Mac plunge but I am curious as to whether the new iMacs running a G4 processor means that they now need a fan. Does anyone know?

I've searched a bit this forum's archives, and Apples website but didn't find the answer.

Friends have the old iMacs, and I did like their silence. Hope the new ones are the same!

Cheers!

David</strong><hr></blockquote>

hello!

yes... you can read about it at o'grady's....

<a href="http://www.go2mac.com/story.lasso?newsID=8913"; target="_blank">http://www.go2mac.com/story.lasso?newsID=8913</a>;
  • Reply 3 of 7
    philbotphilbot Posts: 240member
    The iMac has a fan but it is quiet and only spins up when needed.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    philbotphilbot Posts: 240member
    I am a big one, lets hope it has 6 million others
  • Reply 5 of 7
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    he fan's no big deal at all. It's so quiet. I haven't heard it yet in all the time I've played with it at the Apple Store.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Welcome aboard, David. Stick around.

FYI, we have a forum for discussing hardware that's already on the market. It's not this one. Future Hardware is for speculation about future Apple products.

Moving to Current Hardware.

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: Amorph ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Hi,

yes, sorry, should have noticed but I thought that as the new ones aren't available yet (in the UK at least)......

Will try harder!

Anyway, thanks for the info on the fan - it's been so cool using the friends old iMac without the blasted Wintel fan that I was hoping the replacement would be the same.

Anyway, the plunge is about to be taken!

Cheers

David