single G5 vs. dual g4 for photoshop?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Out of curiosity, how much faster (if at all) would a single-processor G5 be in Photoshop compared to a dual 1.25GHz G4? (Let's assume both computers have the same hard drive, amount of memory, and graphics/video cards for the moment.)

I'm asking because I run a photo studio and I'm thinking about getting another PowerMac for my main assistant photographer. I'm using a dual 1.25GHz PowerMac and was thinking about buying another one just like it, but now I'm wondering if a single-processor G5 might be better.

So, which one delivers the most speed in photoshop?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by rustedborg

Out of curiosity, how much faster (if at all) would a single-processor G5 be in Photoshop compared to a dual 1.25GHz G4? (Let's assume both computers have the same hard drive, amount of memory, and graphics/video cards for the moment.)

I'm asking because I run a photo studio and I'm thinking about getting another PowerMac for my main assistant photographer. I'm using a dual 1.25GHz PowerMac and was thinking about buying another one just like it, but now I'm wondering if a single-processor G5 might be better.

So, which one delivers the most speed in photoshop?

Get a dual 1.8GHz G5. The single 1.6Ghz model isn't much faster than a dual 1,25 G4 in Photoshop.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Okay, I found this page:

http://www.barefeats.com/g5.html

and it answered my questions.

It looks like in "multi-processor-aware" actions, Photoshop runs faster on a dual 1.25GHz G4 than a single-processor G5 ... but a dual-processor G5 is faster than a dual G4.

In "non-mp" actions, the dual 1.25GHz G4 is just as fast as a single 1.6GHz G5. The single 1.8GHz G5 is just a little bit faster than a dual G4, and the dual G5 is even faster.

So, it looks like there's no point in upgrading from a dual G4 to a single G5 for Photoshop ... but a dual G5 would be better than a dual G4 for Photoshop.

Again, I was only concerned with Photoshop performance, so I didn't even pay attention to the 3d rendering and gaming benchmark scores.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    The single 1.8 was kicking the Dual 1.42 in PS, and the new Dual 1.8s should do so even more.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    All the numbers I've seen show general parity between the dual 1.25 G4 and the 1.6 G5. For 3D rendering, all of the numbers are pointless unless Electric Image is used as the benchmark, since most mac using 3D people use it to render, and not its far shittier competitors.

And I bet EI would work better on the Dual G4 since it's heavily optimized for Altivec, and the G4 altivec is faster than VMX (plus you get two of them).
  • Reply 5 of 9
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Final cut pro, and shake have been optimized for the G5 : nearly 50 % more performance ...
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

The single 1.8 was kicking the Dual 1.42 in PS, and the new Dual 1.8s should do so even more.

Before you get too mad, can you point me in the direction of benchmarks that show a single G5 is faster in PS than a dual G4? I have no doubt that a dual G5 will smoke the heck out of a dual G4.

I'm NOT trying to start a G4 vs G5 flame war. The G5 is a GREAT processor and I'm glad Apple brought it into the lineup. I only started this thread because I'm trying to find the best buy for my business. I can afford a computer in the $1,500-$2,000 range, but not a computer in the $2,500+ range ... so a dual G5 is out of the question for me. I can only afford a dual G4 or a single G5 and I'm trying to figure out which one will be a better buy for my money in terms of the cost/performance ratio.

I'm not here to start a fight. We're all friends here.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Before you get too mad, can you point me in the direction of benchmarks that show a single G5 is faster in PS than a dual G4? I have no doubt that a dual G5 will smoke the heck out of a dual G4.

I'm NOT trying to start a G4 vs G5 flame war. The G5 is a GREAT processor and I'm glad Apple brought it into the lineup. I only started this thread because I'm trying to find the best buy for my business. I can afford a computer in the $1,500-$2,000 range, but not a computer in the $2,500+ range ... so a dual G5 is out of the question for me. I can only afford a dual G4 or a single G5 and I'm trying to figure out which one will be a better buy for my money in terms of the cost/performance ratio.

I will suggest you to wait until MWSF. Perhaps there will be a G5 that will fit with your budget.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

I'm just pointing to the Macworld tests. Go here: LINK

They're pretty close. And when you add RAM to the G5, the performance boost is way more noticable than the G4.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I'm just pointing to the Macworld tests. Go here: LINK

They're pretty close. And when you add RAM to the G5, the performance boost is way more noticable than the G4.

Yes 2,5 GB seems to be the optimum Ram for photoshop. You can have 8 GB but it won't make any difference. The reason is simple. Currently photoshop can only manage a maximum of 2 GB of memory. Add 512 MB for the OS, and everything is OK.