Chasing the PIxel Rainbow

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok. Right from the start let me say my olde workhorse a Nikon Coolpix 700(2.1 Mpxl's)is more than adequate for 90% of my shooting needs. That said, I am toying with the idea of buying a 5 Mpxls for the "added" benefit of resolution.

But I wonder if I really need it. I never print bigger than A4 size & even then it's purely reference material for larger artworks.

So my question is, should I go for the 5 Mpxls or just use photoshop to extrapolate out the details I want. Is my chasing the 5 Mpxl's thinking a bit of a waste of money like craving that "medium" format Blad..image quality when most of the work I do is of 35mm standard...?

Ps : Given some of the new fractal based photo~enhancing software out there, I am also beginning to wonder if this Megapixel chase is just a bit overblown market hype: or am I truly missing out ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Everything you said, from the Topic to the last line, tells me you already know the answer.

Good news - YOU'RE RIGHT!

Don't upgrade for pixel-lust alone. Wait till there's a better form factor with improved functionality, PLUS an increase in pixels.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

Everything you said, from the Topic to the last line, tells me you already know the answer.

Good news - YOU'RE RIGHT!

Don't upgrade for pixel-lust alone. Wait till there's a better form factor with improved functionality, PLUS an increase in pixels.

Your right...I am falling for the old shoe~shine trick...Pixel Lust indeed !....
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Go to dpreview.com and look at the reviews for 5 Mpixels cameras. They have sample images you can download and print. This will let you see exactly what you are missing, if anything.