US Citizenship Benefits?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've always wondered ...

if you're a legal alien living in the United States [paying taxes, etc. etc.] ... would there be any real benefits in becoming a US Citizen?

or would it be better to remain a legal alien?

Always been curious.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    You get to vote people like Bush out of office.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

You get to vote people like Bush out of office.

He definitely gets my vote [out of office] come 2004!

I saw a bumper sticker on a local artist's door at the recent ArtWalk here in downtown LA that read ....

Anyone but Bush

• Reply 3 of 14
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    You may be treated better in foreign countries if you DON'T have a US passport. A sad fact.
  • Reply 4 of 14

There's no real benefit in becoming a citizen?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    My wife was born in Jamaica but has lived in the U.S. for about 20 years (college for a couple of years, then got married to me.) She became a citizen only last fall. She finally went ahead with it for a couple of reasons. The right to vote was one. After 9-11, in general, things didn't get any better for people who were not U.S. citizens. Some not even very overt. She is a public school teacher. E-mails are often sent to all employees for certain opportunities. Sometimes being a U.S. citizen is a requirement.

When travelling abroad, she will be able to stand in the U.S. citizens lines now. The people in charge of the other lines never seemed very friendly to her.

She was a very good sprinter in college. Not sure how it all works, but I think our kids (should they by chance actually grow up to be very talented runners) could actually compete for either Jamaica or the U.S.

I'm sure way more than anyone wanted to hear.

My $.02.

• Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by badtz

well, here's a few that i can think of:[list=1][*]social security[*]welfare[*]jury duty [*]voting[*]???[*]profit[/list=1]
  • Reply 7 of 14
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

well, here's a few that i can think of:[list=1][*]social security[*]welfare[*]jury duty [*]voting[*]???[*]profit[/list=1]

I'll take a #6, hold the 3.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Are they letting you guys hold more than one passport yet, or is the 'we prefer you only hold a US passport/citizenship' rule still around?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Well... I have my friend just became a US citizen. They[the US agents] took his green card, but he still carries his BNO [British National Overseas] passport. I don't think it is legal, but just don't say a word.

BTW, I have my green card, a BNO passport, and the Hong Kong ID card.

Yes.. some jobs require a US citizenship, e.g. government job.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

what benefits would there be for social security, welfare, profit?

• Reply 11 of 14
    gycgyc Posts: 90member
    This is a good reason to get U.S. citizenship.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    lolololo Posts: 87member
    You can sponsor relatives. For example, you can get your parents green cards. You can't do that as a permanent resident.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kenneth

Yes.. some jobs require a US citizenship, e.g. government job.

Not necessarily all government jobs, but in general, many that would require a security clearance. This is not as important as it used to be (at least in the military) since the security requirements for many jobs have been downgraded since the Walker incident (a U.S. sailor who spied and recruited his son to spy for the former USSR, if I remember correctly).
  • Reply 14 of 14
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

You get to vote [...]

Originally posted by badtz

Am I the only one who thinks this is pretty sad? Or is everyone else so jaded and cynical that they really don't think voting is worth a damn? Do I have to break out the "people fought and died for the right to vote" bit? That we'd all still have BNO passports if a few folks didn't get upset about their inability to vote?

Eh, well, I would have added that as a citizen you at least get the right to a trial before you're thrown in jail for ever, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore anyway.