Logitech 5.1 Systems

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Found a really good deal on the z-560 series speaker system. Seems a very popular set of speakers, so unless you guys say otherwise I will consider it a good choice as far as being able to produce excellent sound for audio and DVD.

My questions are:

1. Even though I have a G5, will I require a 3rd party PCI audio card like the Sonica Revolution in order to get surround sound / THX out of my DVDs?

2. Can I set this system up with standard Toslink cables, or do I have to get special adapters and cables in order to plug it into the above-noted card (instead of say the Digital Audio In port)?

3. Any driver issues with the card / speakers as far as Panther goes?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    spazspaz Posts: 58member
    as far as i know, you wouldn't need any 3rd party PCI card to use these. the Optical In/Out ports on your G5 are made for this sort of thing, so you will get 5.1 surround sound without special additions.

is there any reason you wouldn't be using Toslink cables and your Optical Out ports to connect to these speakers?

and yes, the latest versions of the DVD player (on Panther) are set up for 5.1 sound.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I *would* use standard Toslink cables if I have that option. Sounds like the G5 has the 5.1 decoding hardware built into it / Panther. I suspected the PCI card would require different connectors / adapter (look like stereo miniplug format to my eyes), so your comment is good news AFAIC.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    As far as I know, the 560 is a 4.1 system - two front, two rear and a sub. Also, it is not Dolby-digital or DTS (decoders not built in). And no optical in (at least from looking at Logitech's web site). The more expensive 680 is 5.1 (includes a center) and does have the decoders built in, and has Tos-link (optical) in, along with coax in and analog in (3 pairs, for analog out PCI cards that do digital decoding. So I don't think you'll get DVD-quality digital sound from the 560 without adding some kind of PCI digital audio card to the G5. On the other hand, you WILL get fantastic sound using the G5's optical out with the 680 (I have one). 'Course, the 680 is pricey compared to the 560. Hope this helps.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Yep. I saw that setup too. Very nice looking. So you're saying I wouldn't need a card with the 680, in order to get DTS, 5.1? You are correct BTW, I think the set I mentioned is 4.1... got mixed up. Another concern I have is the power draw / height of the center speaker.

I will have a NEC 2180UX most likely, which *does* have a stand that puts the bottom edge about 4 or 5" off the top of the desk. Otherwise, I'd have to mount it to the wall or something (pain in the arse, we have cheap dry-wall).
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Yes, all you need with the 680 is a Toslink optical cable to listen to DD and DTS audio on DVDs from a G5 - it is truly amazing! I have a much more "serious" home theater in a different room, but the 680 system is really neat! Luckily I have a computer-desk with a shelf mounted above the monitor and the center speaker sits nicely up there - it's not particularly heavy and could easily be mounted on the wall. The same goes for the other 4 satellite speakers - not the sub, however! It definitely sits on the floor (weighs a ton), and not so far from the "control pod" - the shortness of the connecting cable between the sub/amp module and the control pod is my only (slight) issue with this system. But really, it's amazing for the price. Even with iTunes, it sounds great.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I bet. Probably blows my Monsoon (now defunct) MM-700s out of the water, and they were da proverbial bom-ba in their day.

• Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Yes, all you need with the 680 is a Toslink optical cable to listen to DD and DTS audio on DVDs from a G5 - it is truly amazing.

Hi. I m new to dealing with sound issues so please bear with me. My friend just purchased a G5 and wants surround sound. We will probably go with the Logitech Z-680 as mentioned above. My question is do we need any type of Preamp or amp, or does the G5 have sufficient power to drive the speakers?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    No, all the amplification is in the speaker system - all you need is the system and an optical cable ("Toslink") to connect to the G5 digital sound output.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    knappaknappa Posts: 106member
    Why is it that no one ever seems to consider Creative as a viable option. I recently bought the Inspire TD7700 7.1 surround set, with an included decoder for DD and DTS. It's a really nice set...