eMac sales figures

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I looked up Apple's most recent sales figures that put iMac sales at 253,000. But those all referred to iMac + eMac sales. Of those 253,000, does anyone know how many of those were iMacs and how many were eMacs?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    1 eMac, 252,999 iMacs.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I like the eMac better than the iMac.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I like the eMac better than the iMac.

Often I do too.

$799.

1Ghz

17" CRT (1024x768)

Combo

$1299

1Ghz

15" LCD (1024x768)

Combo
  • Reply 4 of 12
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yeah I definitely thought the eMac was ugly until a friend got one. it's just so...functional. Good designs are timeless and that is what the original iMac CRT is. eMacs are definitely underrated.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Although they don't publish that info in their stats, they have mentioned it in the conference call before. Maybe you could go back and listen to those. I think the eMac has generally outsold the iMac.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

I think the eMac has generally outsold the iMac.

Actually it hasn't. I remember the conference call where the CPUs were broken down by model. iMacs definately outsold the eMac.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    There's no good reason why an iMac 15" combo couldn't be sold for 799. You can't tell anyone to believe that an LCD plus that arm and base amounts to 500 dollars difference. At MOST, 100, if that. I can't wait for the iMac redesign that effectively kills both these AIO's with one better judged design.

PS, the CRT on the eMac is horrible.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

PS, the CRT on the eMac is horrible.

better than the iMac's CRT
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

better than the iMac's CRT

Everything was better than the iMac's CRT. That being said, the eMac is a great computer. It would benefit from a bigger screen/higher res/possible LCD, but other than that, it is a great design, very functional, very easy. Not a slow computer either. A few of my friends have them, and love them. Great option for college kids who don't need a ton of power (what college kid really does?) and can't afford a portable.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Actually it hasn't. I remember the conference call where the CPUs were broken down by model. iMacs definately outsold the eMac.

Well I could have sworn that Anderson said eMacs outsold LCD iMacs at some point. But you might be right - I found these numbers from the January 2003 conference call:

- CRT iMac: 58,000

- eMac: 106,000

- LCD iMac: 134,000

Maybe I was thinking that the CRT iMacs together at the time were outselling the LCD iMac.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    The iMac's CRT wasn't flat, so it picked up some annoying reflections depending on placement, and it was a little fuzzy too. The eMac's CRT is flat -- good -- but it isn't a trinitron type tube. Frankly, after you use a trinitron type CRT you can never go back to a phosor mask type screen. The moire just jumps out at you. You adjust alignment in one area of the screen and it shows up somewhere else. Crap, but if you don't notice it, then I guess it won't bother you.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    I like the eMac a lot... but it needs new guts. I mean SDRAM... common! The eMac needs a (single) G5. It was the cheap G4 for people who needed G4 Power on a buget, now it needs to be a G5 for students who can not afford a PMG5.

As long as apple does not give it the metal look, I am sold.